Share This Page On Social Media

mailto:webmaster@preservationready.org?subject=Comment on County Hall [Old City Hall] at "Comment On This Page"|Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


County Hall [Old City Hall]

  Saved  




http://u1.ipernity.com/42/85/99/32798599.c98530ed.640.jpg
Photo credit: Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo

Location

100 Franklin Street, Buffalo NY 14202
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
SBL: 111.61-1-3
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Also known as 92 Franklin

Across from: 77 West Eagle Street, Buffalo Athletic Club, 42 Delaware Avenue, 110 Franklin Street, 194 Pearl Street, Masonic Temple, 58 West Eagle Street, the Iroquois Gas Building, Buffalo Police Headquarters, and the Telephone Building

Owner

Erie County

Physical Description

Granite construction, High Victorian Gothic Revival Style.

Current Condition

Good condition, restored and in use. Western end of parcel still blocked by bland office building.

History

  • The structure was built in 1876 over what was once Franklin Square Cemetery. Casualties of the War of 1812 were moved to Forest Lawn.
  • Designed by Rochester architect Andrew J. Warner.
  • Granite was quarried at Clark Island, Maine, and shipped here by rail. Block and tackles powered by horses lifted the stone into place against supporting brick walls that were 5 feet thick in places.The Buffalo News
  • The building housed both City of Buffalo and Erie County offices. The offices moved in 1929 to the current City Hall, and Old County Hall is now used to store Erie County court offices and records.
  • Renovations performed in 1925 by Harold Jewett Cook and Milstein; and again by Wittek and Davis between 1963-1980

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 2013 - $2.5 million restoration of the exterior
  • 2002-2005 - Interior renovation

Other Pertinent Facts

  • It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
  • 1960s office building addition to parcel still blocks view of the west side of building.
  • Part of the Joseph Ellicott Historic Preservation District

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-03-20 • Last changed 2014-09-12