Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory and School
|Lost||Demolition By Neglect|
School demolished, 7/17/2014
Rectory demolished, 7/2/2014
Rectory is red brick building on left, part of the school is on the right
Photo credit: David Torke, FixBuffalo; Buffalo Rising; George Apfel; Christine Slocum
1091 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14209
Also known as 1107 Main Street
Ellicott Council District
SBL Number: 100.71-2-49.1
Erie County Property Info
Google Bird's Eye View
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
9274 Group Inc., Ellicott Development. See below for Ellicott Development property listing.
Two story brick rectory and three story brick school total just under 30,000 sq.ft. on a .63 acre lot
- July 2, 2014 - Rectory demolished.
- July 17, 2014 - School demolished.
- Church remains abandoned, vacant, boarded.
- Demolition contractor is Empire Building Diagnostics.
- 1898 - Our Lady of Lourdes Parish church built
- 1993 - Parish closes
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2009 - Ellicott Development purchases convent and school from Prayer & Praise Fellowships Inc. for $370,000.
- 2010 - Ellicott Development seeks to demolish rectory before pulling the application
- April 2010 - Ellicott Development bought the church at 1115 Main Street for $40,000 from 1115 Main Street Inc.
- 2012 - Ellicott Development cleared out and demolished an in-use city street, Saint Paul Mall
- May 2014 - Demolition proposed to Preservation Board on their 5/8/2014 meeting agenda.
- Ellicott Development seeks to "Redevelop the northeast corner of Main Street and St. Paul Mall. As part of the development they will demolish the former rectory and school building and one additional house (47 St. Paul Mall) on site to construct a large multi-story building."
- Demolition plan had little to do with the condition of the buildings. As explained to the preservation board, it is merely because they do no like they site layout of the buildings. The Preservation Board unanimously denied the request, which only bought these buildings one month of protection.
- June 2014 - Preparations for demolition: Fencing put up around buildings, excavator on site, asbestos abatement being done.
- July 2, 2014 - Demolition begins
Other Pertinent Facts
- George Apfel's parish history page
- Buffalo Rising, September 2010 - Maddening Demo on Main Street
- Buffalo Rising, May 2014 - Our Lady of Lourdes Project Requires Rectory and School Demo
- Buffalo Rising, July 2014 - Down They Go: Two Lourdes Buildings Being Demolished
Carl and William Paladino's company, Ellicott Development, or corporations it controls: (Ellicott Group LLC, Pearl Group LLC, Huron Group Inc, Tupper Group Inc, Deltup LLC, Del-Al LLC, 84 Group, 1238 Group, 1239 Group, 4858 Group, 5277 Group, 9274 Group, etc.), owns these buildings or parcels of preservation concern (not a complete list):
Saint Paul Mall, 61 Edna Place, Crosby Building, 514 South Park Avenue, 1050 Niagara Street, 1076 Genesee Street, 1173 East Lovejoy Street, 1175 East Lovejoy Street, 1179 East Lovejoy Street, 172 Franklin Street, 176 Franklin Street, 189 Saint James Place, 206 Ontario Street, Deck Bros. Building, 262 Ohio Street, Karle Saw Co., 809 Tonawanda Street, 85 East Market Street, Bakerís Shoes Building, The Bellesara / Allentown Athletic, Ellicott Square Building, Fairmont Creamery, Fire House Chemical No. 3, Fire House Engine No. 8, Graystone Hotel / Berkeley Apartments, Grimm Block, Harbor Inn, Hens & Kelly Department Store, Holy Angels Academy, Jansen Brothers Harness Shop, Kaleida Health Facility [on Main], L.L. Berger Dept. Store / The Belesario, Meldrum-Edwards Building / The Antonio, Neisner Bros., Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory and School, Pleu Building, Seneca Plumbing & Heating Supply, Vars Building, [Original] Y.M.C.A. / Y.W.C.A. Building,
You can also view this list at Ellicott's category page.
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
■ 2040 Delaware Avenue
■ 24 North Main Street
■ Haglund / Arcade Building
■ Murray / Stearns Building
■ Frank's Casa Nova Restaurant
■ 298 Northland Avenue
■ 1491 Jefferson Avenue
■ 393 Hampshire Street ■ 56 Wood Avenue ■ 980 Ellicott Street ■ 921 East Delavan Avenue ■ 39 Milnor Street ■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue ■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue ■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination ■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1 ■ 101 Depew Avenue ■ L. & I. J. White Co. ■ L. & I. J. White Co. ■ 711 Walden Avenue ■ 311 South Park Avenue ■ Karle Saw Co. ■ Howard Iron Works ■ 115 Lafayette Avenue ■ 135 School Street ■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street ■ 301 Cedar Street ■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital ■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue ■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue ■ 2040 Delaware Avenue ■ 24 North Main Street ■ Haglund / Arcade Building ■ Murray / Stearns Building ■ Frank's Casa Nova Restaurant ■ 298 Northland Avenue ■ 1491 Jefferson Avenue
Added 2014-05-02 • Last changed 2016-10-26