Our Lady of Lourdes Church
|At Risk||Watch List|
Photo credit: David Torke, FixBuffalo; George Apfel
1115 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14209
On a parcel with rectory and school. Adjacent to Saint Paul Mall.
Ellicott Council District
SBL Number: 100.71-2-49.2
Erie County Property Info
Google Bird's Eye View
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Summary page for all properties: Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Rectory & School
- 9274 Group, Inc., Ellicott Development/Carl Paladino.
- See below for list of Ellicott Development properties.
24,800 sq.ft. Medina sandstone Roman Catholic church.
- July 2, 2014 - Rectory demolished.
- July 17, 2014 - School demolished.
- Church remains abandoned, vacant, boarded.
- Demolition contractor is Empire Building Diagnostics.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- May 2014: Ellicott Development requests City permission to demolish the school and rectory.
- Ellicott Development has already demolished most of the houses on Saint Paul Mall.
- Rumors are that Ellicott plans to demolish all the buildings and build a larger building, taking advantage of the rapid growth of the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus.
- Christina Lincoln, PBN, 7/2/2014: "Just got off the phone with Tom Fox from Ellicott Development. We have received some questions from concerned residents about the fate of Our Lady of Lourdes on Main Street at Old Best. The rectory and the school will be demolished at some point in the next couple of weeks. The church will be incorporated as part of a larger mixed use development."
- April 2015 - 'The residential-based development is on the short listed finalists for this yearís allocation under the Buffalo Building ReUse Program. The final determination will be made later this spring.' James Fink, Business First
- May 2015 - "Ellicott Development has been promising reuse of the Our Lady of Lourdes campus at the edge of the Medical Campus and we now know what is in store for the sanctuary. The circa-1898 church near Best Street will contain 12 apartments spread across three levels along with ground floor retail or office space." Chris Schmidt, Buffalo Rising
- May 2015 - 'Under the Building ReUse Project proposal, Paladinoís Ellicott Development would get $500,000 in gap financing for the adaptive reuse of historic church into 12 market rate apartments in a $2.85 million mixed-use project.' Buffalo News
Other Pertinent Facts
- George Apfel's parish history page
- FixBuffalo "Our Lady of Lourdes" posts
- Buffalo Rising, July 2014 - My Favorite Buildings: Our Lady of Lourdes Church
- Business First, April 2015 - Three Buffalo re-use projects considered for grants
- Buffalo Rising, May 2015 - Apartments Planned in Lourdes Church
- Buffalo News, May 2015 - Three downtown Buffalo apartment projects seek gap financing
- Carl and William Paladino's company, Ellicott Development, or corporations it controls: (Ellicott Group LLC, Pearl Group LLC, Huron Group Inc, Tupper Group Inc, Deltup LLC, Del-Al LLC, 84 Group, 1238 Group, 1239 Group, 4858 Group, 5277 Group, 9274 Group, etc.), owns these buildings or parcels of preservation concern (not a complete list):
Saint Paul Mall, 61 Edna Place, Crosby Building, 514 South Park Avenue, 1050 Niagara Street, 1076 Genesee Street, 1173 East Lovejoy Street, 1175 East Lovejoy Street, 1179 East Lovejoy Street, 172 Franklin Street, 176 Franklin Street, 189 Saint James Place, 206 Ontario Street, Deck Bros. Building, 262 Ohio Street, Karle Saw Co., 809 Tonawanda Street, 85 East Market Street, 905 Elmwood Avenue, Bakerís Shoes Building, The Bellesara / Allentown Athletic, E&B Holmes Machinery / The Cooperage, Edmiston's Academy of Business, Ellicott Square Building, Fairmont Creamery, Fire House Chemical No. 3, Fire House Engine No. 8, Graystone Hotel / Berkeley Apartments, Grimm Block, Harbor Inn, Hens & Kelly Department Store, Holy Angels Academy, Jansen Brothers Harness Shop, Kaleida Health Facility [on Main], L.L. Berger Dept. Store / The Belesario, Meldrum-Edwards Building / The Antonio, Neisner Bros., Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory and School, Pleu Building, Seneca Plumbing & Heating Supply, Vars Building, Weed Co. Wholesale Building, [Original] Y.M.C.A. / Y.W.C.A. Building,
You can also view this list at Ellicott's category page.
■ 1934 Elmwood Avenue
■ Pijan Roost Bar
■ Market Bar
■ Cheektowaga Town Hall
■ St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Home / MusicMall
■ Forks Hotel / Forks Hose Company #2
■ Young & Swartz Inc.
■ 31 Barker Street
■ 1432 Niagara Street
■ 253 Allen Street
■ Imperial Building
■ Seneca Babcock Community Center
■ 171 Brinkman Avenue
■ 153 Brinkman Avenue
■ 217 Brinkman Avenue
■ 197 Brinkman Avenue
■ 201 Brinkman Avenue
■ 205 Brinkman Avenue
■ 209 Brinkman Avenue
■ Fire House Engine No. 20 - E.M. Cotter Fire Boat
■ Corner Bar
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 1934 Elmwood Avenue ■ Pijan Roost Bar ■ Market Bar ■ Cheektowaga Town Hall ■ St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Home / MusicMall ■ Forks Hotel / Forks Hose Company #2 ■ Young & Swartz Inc. ■ 31 Barker Street ■ 1432 Niagara Street ■ 253 Allen Street ■ Imperial Building ■ Seneca Babcock Community Center ■ 171 Brinkman Avenue ■ 153 Brinkman Avenue ■ 217 Brinkman Avenue ■ 197 Brinkman Avenue ■ 201 Brinkman Avenue ■ 205 Brinkman Avenue ■ 209 Brinkman Avenue ■ Fire House Engine No. 20 - E.M. Cotter Fire Boat ■ Corner Bar ■ Chez Ami Restuarant ■ Knapp Building ■ 334 Fillmore Avenue ■ 326 Fillmore Avenue ■ 69 Whitney Place ■ 925 Elmwood Avenue ■ Fitch Creche ■ Edmiston's Academy of Business ■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
Added 2014-05-05 • Last changed 2017-09-05