Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


118 South Park Avenue

  At Risk      High Risk      Demolition By Neglect  


http://u1.ipernity.com/34/60/95/24436095.2da695f2.640.jpg
http://u1.ipernity.com/34/61/09/24436109.11e47227.640.jpg
Photos by Mike Puma, ViewsOfBuffalo

Location

118 South Park Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14203
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
SBL: 122.05-4-3
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Next to: 110 South Park Avenue and Cobblestone Bar

Owner

Darryl Carr
(716) 848-1930
PARK AVENUE ESTATES, LLC EQUITY TRUST COMPANY D/B/A 1 per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Carr also owns 110 South Park Avenue and Cobblestone Bar

Physical Description

Ornate cast-iron pilasters with capitals reminiscent of the Corinthian order frame the front entry. The nine windows of the South Park frontage feature stone sills and segmental arch heads, the arch masonry being a double course of headers. The cornice is corbelled. Buffalo Rising

Current Condition

Boarded up but not properly secured from the elements. As of 2011, Carr was under judge's order to make repairs or face jail time.

History

  • 1858 - Brown & McCutcheon was established in the building where they may have shared space with George Mugridge's bakery
  • 1889 - Brown retires and rented the premises to Queen City Metal Company
  • 1898 - Rented by Crumlish Forge Co., makers of small stationary and portable smiths' forges.
  • 1902 - Rented by James A. Duggan and Thomas Paul, both blacksmiths.
  • 1909 - Rented by William V. Bush, another blacksmith
  • 1921 - Purchased by Bush
  • 1937 - Bush enlarged the facilities in 1937 by constructing a steel-frame, metal-clad addition still standing immediately to the north of the original building.
  • During World War II, Bush's shop turned out parts for diesel engines.
  • 1954 - Ed Rudnicki began his blacksmithing business in 1954 and owned the building from until 2001
History Courtesy of Buffalo Rising

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 2001 - Darryl Carr purchased the building in 2001 for $150,000
  • 2010 - Carr sells building to himself as EQUITY TRUST CO/PARK AVENUE ESTATES LLC for $1
  • 2011 - At least two developers have tried to purchase and redevelop the buildings. Developers Sam Savarino and Roger Trettel had Silvestri Architects prepare a rendering showing what the buildings could be. Carr has ignored their interest.
  • May 2011 - Erie County Court Judge Michael L. D'Amico overturned the demolition order of Buffalo City Court Judge Henry J. Nowak's authorization of an emergency demolition of the building in August 2010
  • Oct 2011 - Housing Court Judge Patrick Carney said the building must be fixed in two weeks or the owner, Darryl Carr, will be jailed.
  • February 2014 - Cobblestone Historic District, previously just a local designation, becomes certified and obtains access to state/national historic tax credits based on application completed by Preservation Studios for the owners of Iron Works: Sam Savarino, Roger Trettel, Ed Plata, and Dan Mania
  • February 2015 - Darryl Carr is in Housing Court Thursday February 5, 9am (Judge Carney).

Other Pertinent Facts

  • One of the earliest brass manufacturers in Buffalo. It had been in continuous use for various types of small scale metalworking for over 140 years.
  • Located in the Cobblestone Historic District

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-02-26 • Last changed 2016-05-10