Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Adams Power Plant Transformer House

  At Risk      Watch List  


Adams Power Plant Transformer House
Adams Power Plant Transformer House Complex, 1941
Click for larger image
The existing building is the nearest one, the other two have been demolished.

Photo credit: Library of Congress
More photos at this HABS Survey.

Location

1501 Buffalo Avenue, Niagara Falls NY 14303
SBL Number: 159.14-2-2.2
Google Bird's Eye View

Owner

Peter Fontanarosa

Physical Description

  • Gray limestone power transformer building.
  • 1 1/2 stories high; 11,000 square feet in area.
  • Some Richardson Romanesque components.

Current Condition

  • In use by its owner, local contractor Peter Fontanarosa.

History

  • The Adams Power Plant was designed by McKim, Mead, and White.
  • Built in 1895.
  • First production of power in August, 1895.
  • Second enterprise to provide electricity to Niagara Falls.
  • First transmission of power to Buffalo occurred November 15, 1896.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • Niagara Gazette, July 2014: "Friends of Tesla’s Transformer House has started a campaign to revive efforts to convert the 119-year-old structure into a space honoring Nikola Tesla, the man behind the advent of alternating current — the form of electricity that became the world’s standard, preferred for its ability to travel long distances without shedding much power along the way — and Niagara Falls’ importance in the development of hydropower."

Other Pertinent Facts

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2014-08-01 • Last changed 2016-12-23