Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Fire House Engine No. 37 / Chemical No. 5

  Saved  


Click for historic image.
http://www.preservationready.org/Buildings/166ClevelandAvenue?action=download&upname=166Cleveland.jpg
Photo credit: Vintage Buffalo NY via Janice Jezewski Dale Rossi, Tom Bastin

Location

166 Cleveland Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
SBL: 100.30-1-13
Delaware Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Owner

City of Buffalo per City of Buffalo Property Information
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Physical Description

Art Nouveau fire house

Current Condition

In use as a residence

History

  • Built 1894
  • Designed by architect Edward Austin Kent
  • Chemical 5 was disbanded in 1920 courtesy Jason Whelan, user submission to Karl Josker's photo gallery
  • 1966 - Engine 37 moved to the demolished site of the former Engine No. 17

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 1989 - UB Dean of Architecture and Environmental Design, Bruno Freschi and his wife, converted the firehouse into residential space.

Other Pertinent Facts

  • Architect Edward Austin Kent died on the Titanic after helping other passengers get to lifeboats.

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2014-06-16 • Last changed 2016-11-29