General Railway Signal / FWS / Foundry Lofts
Across from: American Radiator / ARCO Lofts
BELRU MARKETS INC per propertyviewer
Rocco Termini has the building under contract (Nov 2012)
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
- 85,000 sq.ft. brick complex built around a central courtyard.
- "Rectangular two and three-story brick factory building with a central light court and wings that project east and west from the southern side, and a three-story brick office building at the northeast corner connected to the factory by a hyphen. The factory complex is built of brick pier construction, with load-bearing brick piers around the exterior and an interior structure of steel posts and beams supporting reinforced concrete floors ceilings." Buffalo Rising
Extensive renovation of entire complex, including restoration of proper windows, removal of paint, and new interiors.
- 1889 - John D. Taylor invents the electric train signal in Ohio.
- 1890s - Alvah W. Hall, maker of another signal device, bought out Taylor with plans to expand in Chicago until Buffalo venture capitalist George D. Morgan convinced him to come to Buffalo instead
- 1900 - Formation of the Taylor Signal Company in Buffalo
- Building constructed between 1902 and 1906
- It was designed by Esenwein & Johnson for the General Railway Signal Co.
- 1904 - W. W. Salmon negotiated an agreement whereby the Taylor Signal Company of Buffalo and the Pneumatic Signal Company of Rochester, New York, were merged to form the General Railway Signal Company
- 1907 - The General Railway Signal Company decided to close its 800 employee Buffalo factory and move all operations to Rochester where the city had given land and raised money for a new factory on West Ave.
- The Century Telephone Construction Company purchased the building and used it to make telephone switchboards and related equipment.
- The General Drop Forge Company then moved into the forge shop (demolished).
- 1914 - The Lippard-Stewart Motor Car Company occupied part of the plant.
- 1915 - The Curtiss Aereoplane Company made aircraft engines in a part of the plant.
- May 22, 1922 - The Federal Telephone & Telegraph Company signed on its radio station WGR for regularly scheduled broadcasts at this location
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Nov 2012 - Rocco Termini announces plan to restore this building and Houk Lofts in a combined $30 million project
- Feb 2013 - ECIDA directors approved separate incentive packages for the Houk Lofts and Distillery Lofts projects
- June 2013 - Announcements that Acqua will run a boutique hotel here and Buffalo Spree will relocate into an 8k sq.ft. portion of the building.
- May 26, 2014 - Property was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Location of the start of modern broadcasting in Western New York. Forgotten Buffalo
- Facebook - Forgotten Buffalo - The Birthplace of Buffalo Broadcasting
- Wikipedia - General Railway Signal
- Buffalo Broadcasters - History of WGR-55
- Buffalo Rising November 2012 - Termini Headed North
- Buffalo Rising November 2012 - Times Two For Termini
- WIVB November 2012 - Developer Eyes Soon Vacant FWS Building
- Buffalo Business First February 2013 - Termini Projects OK'd
- Buffalo News May 2013 - First North Buffalo hotel coming to former FWS
- Buffalo Rising November 2013 - Construction Watch: Distillery Lofts
- Buffalo Rising February 2014 - Foundry Lofts @ The Pierce Arrow Village
- Buffalo Business First March 2014 - Historic status sought for candy factory, signal company
- Buffalo Rising May 2014 - Foundry Lofts Project Wrapping Up
- Buffalo Rising June 2014 - Buffalo’s Newest National Register Property: Foundry Lofts
■ 114 Masten Avenue
■ 112 Masten Avenue
■ 205 Dodge Street
■ 203 Chester Street
■ 229 Orange Street
■ 35 Peach Street
■ 201 Dodge Street
■ 93 Orange Street
■ Owner Julian Russotto
■ 48 Laurel Street
■ 71 Orange Street
■ Moffat's Brewery / Fox & Williams Brewery
■ 169 West Utica Street
■ William Hamlin House
■ 102 Florida Street
■ 100 Florida Street
■ 96 Florida Street
■ 90 Florida Street
■ 88 Florida Street
■ 84 Florida Street
■ 94 Florida Street
■ 61 Imson Street
■ Houses at Knox Farm State Park
■ 233 Dearborn Street
■ Lucy Curley Building
■ 1440 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1567 Genesee Street
■ 954 Sycamore Street
■ 895 Sycamore Street
■ 893 Sycamore Street
■ 114 Masten Avenue ■ 112 Masten Avenue ■ 205 Dodge Street ■ 203 Chester Street ■ 229 Orange Street ■ 35 Peach Street ■ 201 Dodge Street ■ 93 Orange Street ■ Owner Julian Russotto ■ 48 Laurel Street ■ 71 Orange Street ■ Moffat's Brewery / Fox & Williams Brewery ■ 169 West Utica Street ■ William Hamlin House ■ 102 Florida Street ■ 100 Florida Street ■ 96 Florida Street ■ 90 Florida Street ■ 88 Florida Street ■ 84 Florida Street ■ 94 Florida Street ■ 61 Imson Street ■ Houses at Knox Farm State Park ■ 233 Dearborn Street ■ Lucy Curley Building ■ 1440 Jefferson Avenue ■ 1567 Genesee Street ■ 954 Sycamore Street ■ 895 Sycamore Street ■ 893 Sycamore Street
Added 2013-05-14 • Last changed 2016-10-28