Jansen Brothers Harness Shop
|At Risk||Watch List|
Photo credit: Mike Puma, ViewsOfBuffalo
Next to: 177 Elm Street
Carl and William Paladino's company, Ellicott Development, or corporations it controls: (Ellicott Group LLC, Pearl Group LLC, Huron Group Inc, Tupper Group Inc, Deltup LLC, Del-Al LLC, 84 Group, 1238 Group, 1239 Group, 4858 Group, 5277 Group, 9274 Group, etc.), owns these buildings or parcels of preservation concern (not a complete list):
Saint Paul Mall, 61 Edna Place, Crosby Building, 514 South Park Avenue, 1050 Niagara Street, 1076 Genesee Street, 1173 East Lovejoy Street, 1175 East Lovejoy Street, 1179 East Lovejoy Street, 172 Franklin Street, 176 Franklin Street, 206 Ontario Street, Deck Bros. Building, 262 Ohio Street, Karle Saw Co., 809 Tonawanda Street, 85 East Market Street, Bakerís Shoes Building, The Bellesara / Allentown Athletic, Ellicott Square Building, Fairmont Creamery, Fire House Chemical No. 3, Fire House Engine No. 8, Graystone Hotel / Berkeley Apartments, Grimm Block, Harbor Inn, Hens & Kelly Department Store, Holy Angels Academy, Jansen Brothers Harness Shop, Kaleida Health Facility [on Main], L.L. Berger Dept. Store / The Belesario, Meldrum-Edwards Building / The Antonio, Neisner Bros., Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory and School, Pleu Building, Seneca Plumbing & Heating Supply, Vars Building, Weed Co. Wholesale Building, [Original] Y.M.C.A. / Y.W.C.A. Building,
You can also view this list at Ellicott's category page.
Four story brick commercial building
Interior renovation performed in 2015. Exterior still appears to need work.
- 1897 - Built for Jansen Brothers Harness Shop
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2014 - Ellicott Development announces $1.8 million plan to convert building into two floors of offices and five apartments. The commercial space would be leased by a non-profit job training agency, the Service Collaborative of Western New York
- 2014 - Ellicott redevelopment plan receives $65,800 in tax breaks from the IDA.
- May 2015 - Ellicott leased commercial first floor space to The Service Collaborative, and converted the upper floors into 5 apartments. The exterior appears to still be in rough shape.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Per separate tax breaks sought by Ellicott from the City of Buffalo: 'The building currently pays less than $1,400 a year in taxes, but is expected to generate an additional $72,000 in city and county taxes during the 12 years covered by the property tax abatement. '
- Buffalo News March 2014 - Two Buffalo apartment projects in older buildings to receive tax breaks
- Buffalo Rising, May 2015 - Ellicott Development Finishes Up Three Residential Projects
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
■ 2040 Delaware Avenue
■ 24 North Main Street
■ Haglund / Arcade Building
■ Murray / Stearns Building
■ Frank's Casa Nova Restaurant
■ 298 Northland Avenue
■ 1491 Jefferson Avenue
■ 33 Brunswick Boulevard
■ Keystone Corporation Metal Shop
Added 2014-03-26 • Last changed 2016-10-26