H-O Oats Elevator
225 Perry Street, Buffalo, NY 14204
- Lat, Long: 42.874922,-78.8699248
- Google Bird's Eye View
- Fillmore Council District
- SBL: 122.23-5-3.2
- Erie County Property Info
- County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
- City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
- The parcel is now listed as 42 Fulton, even though Fulton Street has been lost at that location.
- The concrete H-O Elevator location is now referred to as 225 Perry Street.
- The brick buildings were at 54 Fulton.
- Next to: H-O Oats Office/Mill, 53-63 East Market Street
- Across from: Buffalo XRay Co., Lofts @ Elk Terminal, 222 Chicago Street
- Seneca Nation of Indians
- Multi-story brick facility (office, mill) and concrete grain elevators
- Demolished. Vacant lot. Tentatively planned for sprawling surface parking.
- 1890 - Edward Elsworth purchased Hornby's Oats
- 1893 - Elsworth expands to Buffalo
- 1983 - 90 years later, all production at the Buffalo plant ceased.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 1987 - A fire destroyed most of the complex, leaving only part of the milling structure and the iconic elevators.
- 2002 - The NYS office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation named the H-O elevators and 15 other Buffalo grain elevators as eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Early 2000's - Carl Paladino's Ellicott Development Co. had announced the possibility of converting the complex to residential loft apartments, then sold complex to Seneca Gaming instead.
- 2005 - The Seneca Nation of Indians purchased 9 acres, including the former H-O property, for use as a casino. Demolition began almost immediately.
- 2013 - The original casino stopped during construction, leaving only a 'temporary' building. Most of the parcel sat empty for years. The new plan wasted an entire city block with surface parking and a parking garage surrounding a small one story casino building in the middle.
Other Pertinent Facts
- HAER NY-257:
- PRS Grain Elevator Summary Page
- Wikimapia - H.O. Oats Elevator Site
- Forgotten Buffalo - H.O. Elevator
- WNY Heritage Press - H.O. Oats Part 1
- WNY Heritage Press - H.O. Oats Part 2
- Buffalo Rising, November 2005 - Seneca Gaming Bought HO Oats for Backup
■ 114 Masten Avenue
■ 112 Masten Avenue
■ 205 Dodge Street
■ 203 Chester Street
■ 229 Orange Street
■ 35 Peach Street
■ 201 Dodge Street
■ 93 Orange Street
■ Owner Julian Russotto
■ 48 Laurel Street
■ 71 Orange Street
■ Moffat's Brewery / Fox & Williams Brewery
■ 169 West Utica Street
■ William Hamlin House
■ 102 Florida Street
■ 100 Florida Street
■ 96 Florida Street
■ 90 Florida Street
■ 88 Florida Street
■ 84 Florida Street
■ 94 Florida Street
■ 61 Imson Street
■ Houses at Knox Farm State Park
■ 233 Dearborn Street
■ Lucy Curley Building
■ 1440 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1567 Genesee Street
■ 954 Sycamore Street
■ 895 Sycamore Street
■ 893 Sycamore Street
■ 114 Masten Avenue
Added 2013-01-08 • Last changed 2018-10-02