Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


H-O Oats Grain Elevator

  Lost  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/H-OGrainElevator?action=download&upname=54FultonStreet.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/225PerryStreet?action=download&upname=225Perry2006.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/H-OGrainElevator?action=download&upname=HOelevator1994.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/H-OGrainElevator?action=download&upname=HOelevator2006.jpg
Photo credit: HAER-Library of Congress, WNY Heritage Press

Location

225 Perry Street, Buffalo, NY 14204
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
SBL: 122.23-5-3.2
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

The parcel is now listed as 42 Fulton, even though Fulton Street has been lost at that location.
The concrete H-O Elevator location is now referred to as 225 Perry Street.
The brick buildings were at 54 Fulton.

Next to: H-O Oats Office/Mill, 53-63 East Market Street
Across from: Buffalo XRay Co., Lofts @ Elk Terminal, 222 Chicago Street

Owner

SENECA NATION OF INDIANS THE per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Physical Description

Multi-story brick facility (office, mill) and concrete grain elevators

Current Condition

Demolished. Vacant lot. Tentatively planned for sprawling surface parking.

History

  • 1890 - Edward Elsworth purchased Hornby's Oats
  • 1893 - Elsworth expands to Buffalo
  • 1983 - 90 years later, all production at the Buffalo plant ceased.
History courtesy WNY Heritage Press

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 1987 - A fire destroyed most of the complex, leaving only part of the milling structure and the iconic elevators.
  • 2002 - The NYS office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation named the H-O elevators and 15 other Buffalo grain elevators as eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Early 2000's - Carl Paladino's Ellicott Development Co. had announced the possibility of converting the complex to residential loft apartments, then sold complex to Seneca Gaming instead.
  • 2005 - The Seneca Nation of Indians purchased 9 acres, including the former H-O property, for use as a casino. Demolition began almost immediately.
  • 2013 - The original casino stopped during construction, leaving only a 'temporary' building. Most of the parcel sat empty for years. The new plan wasted an entire city block with surface parking and a parking garage surrounding a small one story casino building in the middle.

Other Pertinent Facts

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-01-08 • Last changed 2014-06-20