Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Heywood Wakefield Company Building

  Lost  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/HeywoodWakefieldCompanyBuilding?action=download&upname=HeywoodWakefield.jpg


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/HeywoodWakefieldCompanyBuilding?action=download&upname=HeywoodMap.jpg
http://www.heywood-wakefield.com/img/sidebar-logo.png
1926 corner of Carroll St and Wells St vs 2013 view of elevated 190 ramp

Location

24 Wells Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Wells Street no longer exists and Carroll Street is cut 3 blocks short. The Parcel no longer exists.
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
SBL: N/A
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Next to: McLeod's Hotel
Across from: Burt & Sindele Candies

Owner

City of Buffalo

Physical Description

Ornate six story brick industrial building on a corner parcel

Current Condition

Demolished. Nearly 8 full city blocks were cleared and combined into empty parcels, elevated ramps, and surface parking.

History

  • 1826 - Heywood Brothers (Walter, Levi, Seth, Benjamin and William) furniture was established
  • 1855 - Wakefield Company was established
  • 1897 - The rival companies merged to form Heywood Brothers & Wakefield Company
  • 1899 - The company's Buffalo warehouse opens under the management of William R. Waters
  • 1921 - Name change to Heywood-Wakefield Company
  • 1979 - The company dissolves after filing for bankruptcy
  • 1992 - South Beach Furniture bought the remnants of Heywood-Wakefield from bankruptcy court, re-registered the name and logo, and are still operating under that name today

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

  • The company's 1863 complex in Gardner, Massachusetts was added to the National Historic Register in 1983.

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-08-09 • Last changed 2014-09-25