Delaware Court Building
Delaware Court Building, old, current, new (proposed).
Photo credit: Becky Harbison, Mark Paradowski
234 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo NY 14202
Also known as 232-260 Delaware Avenue
Northwest corner of Delaware and Chippewa.
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
BTC BLOCK 20, INC. per City property database; Delaware Court per County property database.
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
The parcel is under the control of Uniland Development, reportedly with plans to develop office space for Delaware North Companies.
Local developer Uniland purchased the building and parcel in September 2012.
Two story commercial building on a busy downton corner parcel; retail on street level, offices on second story. Rounded corner at Delaware and Chippewa.
Designed by Lansing, Bley and Lyman; opened in 1913. For long periods, architectural firms were prominent tenants of the building, such as Dietel & Wade, who designed Buffalo City Hall while residents of the building.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- March 2013: The site is being considered for the new headquarters for Delaware North Company. Jim Fink, Buffalo Business First
- Chris Schmidt, Buffalo Rising, July 2013 - "Uniland Development Co. made an informal presentation to the Preservation Board of its redevelopment plans for the northwest corner of Delaware Avenue and Chippewa Street yesterday. An architect from HHL Architects representing Uniland said the plan is to clear the site including the circa-1917 Delaware Court building. The two-story, curved building’s ornate façade would be recreated using terra cotta in what would be a mixed-use complex of all new construction."
- From the August 2013 Buffalo News article: "The project for 250 Delaware Ave. includes a four-story, 120-room hotel occupying the second through fifth floors, and Class A office space from the sixth through 12th floors. In all, the hotel would take up 92,900 square feet, while the office space would occupy 190,894 square feet. The first floor would consist of a mixture of the 8,410-square-foot hotel lobby, a 7,420-square foot office lobby and about 7,230 square feet of retail space for four boutique shops. There’s also 32,907 square feet of lower-level parking. A 520-space parking ramp will be connected to the building with charging stations for electric vehicles."
- September 10, 2013: The Buffalo Planning Board tabled the proposal after the developer sought more time to work with neighbors and historic preservationists to address a range of concerns.
- October 7, 2013: The Buffalo Planning Board gave approval to a revised plan that includes more retail space on Elmwood, incorporation of more of the original materials and architectural features, and repositioning the internal parking ramp to allow for better pedestrian access and wider sidewalks.
- October 28, 2013 - The Buffalo News announces that Delaware North will now halt the plan if they aren't given tax breaks and special bridge financing from the county and state. This comes after they already designed a new building, released the plans to the public, and requested demolition of the existing structure.
- November 21, 2013 - Dana Saylor reports that asbestos warnings have been posted on the building. This is a possible sign of demolition happening soon.
- Buffalo Rising, 12/18/2013: "Preservation Buffalo Niagara announced their push to have the Delaware Court Building designated as a local landmark."
- March 7, 2014 - BEING DEMOLISHED.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Buffalo AH - Delaware Court
- Fred Schrock - Is This the Most Architecturally Significant Building in Buffalo?
- Landmark Application for Delaware Court (pdf)
- Buffalo Rising, October 2012 - Big Deal: Uniland Buys Delaware Court Building
- Buffalo News, September 2012 - Uniland moves to expand its downtown Buffalo presence
- Buffalo Business First, March 2013 - Parking lot could become new Delaware North HQ
- Buffalo Rising, March 2013 - Report: Delaware North Looking at Two Sites for New HQs
- Buffalo Rising, May 2013 - Real Estate Rumor, Delaware North
- Buffalo Rising, July 2013 - Uniland Firming up Redevelopment Plan for Delaware Court Site
- Buffalo Rising, August 2013 - Shovel-Ready: S. Elmwood and Chippewa Street
- Buffalo News, August 2013 - Uniland plans hotel/office building off Chippewa
- Buffalo News, September 2013 - Project Delayed by Buffalo Planning Board
- Buffalo Rising, October 2013 - Planning Board Gives Thumbs Up to 250 Delaware Project
- Buffalo News, October 2013 - Delaware North says tax breaks needed for new headquarters in Buffalo
- Buffalo Rising, January 2015 - 250 Delaware’s Terra Cotta Taking Shape in Orchard Park
- Buffalo Rising, April 2015 - Terra Cotta Installation Underway at 250 Delaware
■ Waldow Plumbing
■ 420-438 Carlton Street
■ Sacred Heart School
■ Sacred Heart Convent
■ Sacred Heart Rectory
■ Electric City Box Company
■ 2074 Seneca Street
■ 410 Main Street
■ 614 Walden Avenue
■ 616 Walden Avenue
■ 618 Walden Avenue
■ 700 Walden Avenue
■ Martucci Pizzeria Building
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ Waldow Plumbing ■ 420-438 Carlton Street ■ Sacred Heart School ■ Sacred Heart Convent ■ Sacred Heart Rectory ■ Electric City Box Company ■ 2074 Seneca Street ■ 410 Main Street ■ 614 Walden Avenue ■ 616 Walden Avenue ■ 618 Walden Avenue ■ 700 Walden Avenue ■ Martucci Pizzeria Building ■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass ■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue ■ St. Stephen's Hall ■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral ■ Henry Street ■ 23 West Avenue ■ 370 Amherst Street ■ 393 Hampshire Street ■ 56 Wood Avenue ■ 980 Ellicott Street ■ 921 East Delavan Avenue ■ 39 Milnor Street ■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue ■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue ■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination ■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1 ■ 101 Depew Avenue
Added 2013-01-26 • Last changed 2015-05-06