Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Barnes & Hengerer / Sweeney Co. Building

  Saved  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/256MainStreet?action=download&upname=256Main1871.jpg
[http://preservationready.org/Buildings/256MainStreet?action=download&upname=256Main1875.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/256MainStreet?action=download&upname=256-270Main.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/256MainStreet?action=download&upname=SweeneyCompany.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/256MainStreet?action=download&upname=BarnesAndHengerer1940s.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/256MainStreet?action=download&upname=268MainBeforeAfter.jpg
http://u1.ipernity.com/33/21/47/33902147.86c02709.640.jpg
Photos courtesy: Publications of Buffalo Historical, Buffalo Evening News, BuffaloAH, Mark Paradowski

Location

256 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
SBL: 111.69-3-2
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Next to: Federal Reserve Bank
Across from: 269 Main Street, 263 Main Street, and 259 Main Street

Owner

MAIN AND CATHEDRAL DEVELOPMENT LLC per City of Buffalo Property Information
Search NYS Corporation Database for MAIN AND CATHEDRAL

Physical Description

Commercial Romanesque Revival building with brick and Medina sandstone

Current Condition

In use. First floor facade has been altered and parapet is missing but the rest has been restored back to original.

History

  • 1869 - Richard J. Sherman partnered with J. C. Barnes to form Sherman & Barnes & Co. William Hengerer joined Sherman & Barnes as a clerk.
    • Barnes then formed J. C. Barnes & Co., followed by Barnes & Bancroft (James K.)
  • 1873 - Hengerer was admitted as a partner - the firm becoming Barnes, Bancroft & Co.
  • 1882 - Building expanded
  • 1885 - Iron facade added
  • 1888 - Current building built by either architect William W. Carlin or Cyrus K. Porter, following a fire in the original building
  • 1903 - Hengerer built his own department store in 1903.
  • Early 1900s - The Sweeney Company Department Store was located here
  • 1965 - The facade of the building was covered in aluminum panels in a poor attempt at modernization
  • 1990 - The facade was mostly restored to its original grandeur, minus the first two floors and the parapet on top
History courtesy BuffaloAH.com

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

  • Joseph Ellicott Historical District

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-10-25 • Last changed 2014-09-23