Photo credit: Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo,Cinema Treasures,BuffaloAH,Karl Josker
Two story brick, 998 (originally 650) seat theater
Demolished. Vacant lot.
- March 25, 1913 - John R. Oshei, the founder of Trico, hires architect William Andrew Kidd for his new theater
- 1915 - Theater construction completed
- 1929 - The Marlowe was purchased by Matthew M. Konczakowski
- 1941 - Konczakowski spent $70,000 dollars on a complete overhaul, doubling the original size, adding air-conditioning, and changing the facade.
- The architect of the Art Deco remodel was William L. Spann
- When Konczakowski died, the theater operation ended and it changed hands multiple times, being used as a church by various organizations.
- 1979 - A feasibility study by the Community Planning Association Center of WNY to renovate the building as convention space for Hispanic cultural and social activities failed to generate any development activity.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2007 - Prince of Peace Church vacated the Marlowe
- 2012 - Hispanics United purchased it and considered reuse, before settling on demolition instead. Demo contractors told Views of Buffalo that the deterioration of the exterior was mostly face bricks, not structural.
- A three story, residential building was slated to take its place. The site remains a vacant lot years later.
- April 2012 - Theater demolished
Other Pertinent Facts
- The Marlowe was named after one of Oshei’s favorite actresses, Julia Marlowe.
- Oshei owned and built a number of other theaters throughout Buffalo, including the Teck Theater.
- Cinema Treasures - Marlowe Theate
- Views of Buffalo - Marlowe Theater photo gallery
- Views of Buffalo, February 2012 - Death of a Neighborhood Movie Palace
- Views of Buffalo, April 2012 - A Final Goodbye to the Marlowe Theater
- YouTube, April 2012 - Marlowe Theater Demolition video
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
■ 126 Hawley Street
■ 550 Grant Street
■ 40 Barry Place
■ 101 Amherst Street
■ 475 Grider Street
■ 486 Franklin Street
■ 29 Tillinghast Place
Added 2014-06-26 • Last changed 2016-10-27