Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Third National Bank / Bernstone's Cigar Store

  Lost  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/273MainStreet?action=download&upname=273Main1860s.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/BernstonesCigarStore?action=download&upname=ThirdNationalBank.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/273MainStreet?action=download&upname=273MainStreet.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/273MainStreet?action=download&upname=273Main2013.jpg
Photo credit: Buffalo News, Publications of Buffalo Historical, and Mark Paradowski

Location

273 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14203
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
SBL: 111.70-1-2
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Next to: 269 Main Street
Across from: Federal Reserve Bank , Fidelity Trust Building, and Ellicott Square Building

Owner

FORTY-FIFTH STREET HOLDINGS (NY) INC per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database.

Physical Description

Multi-story commercial building with cast-iron façade on a corner parcel of Main Street. In 1962, the upper floors were removed, leaving a one story 3,200 sq.ft. building.

Current Condition

Demolished September 2012. Surface parking lot.

History

  • Built in the 1850s
  • Designed by Calvin Otis
  • Once used as the downtown home to Third National Bank, which formed in 1864 and moved up Main Street to this location around 1867
  • Purchased by M&T Bank in 1962. M&T removed the upper floors of the building that year.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 2012 - The Preservation Board was not notified of the pending demolition.
  • Demolished September 2012.

Other Pertinent Facts

  • Joseph Ellicott Historical District

Availability

2013 - Per Buffalo Urban Development Corp (BUDC) and Buffalo Niagara Enterprise (BNE), the property is available for sale through Tim Malchow/Ed McGinn, Ciminelli Real Estate Corp, 716-631-8000

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-01-08 • Last changed 2016-05-08