Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Ellicott Square Building

  Saved      Watch List  



Same View, around 1900 and 2000

Location

283 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14203
On Shelton Square
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
SBL: 111.13-24-1
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Also known as 295 Main Street

Across from: Fidelity Trust Building, Federal Reserve Bank, Bernstones / Third National Bank, Lewis Block, Hotel Buffalo, Gerot's French Restaurant, Washington Street Baptist Church, 295 Washington Street, 303 Washington Street, Jewitt Block (317 Washington Street), Fire House Engine No. 1, and 311-333 Main Street block

Owner

Carl Paladino, Ellicott Development Company
ELLICOTT GROUP per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Carl and William Paladino's company, Ellicott Development, or corporations it controls: (Ellicott Group LLC, Pearl Group LLC, Huron Group Inc, Tupper Group Inc, Deltup LLC, Del-Al LLC, 84 Group, 1238 Group, 1239 Group, 4858 Group, 5277 Group, 9274 Group, etc.), owns these buildings or parcels of preservation concern (not a complete list):

You can also view this list at Ellicott's category page.

Physical Description

10-story Italian Renaissance Revival style office building with terra-cotta exterior

Current Condition

Restored and in use as a commercial building. Missing its cornice.

History

  • Construction began in 1895 by D.H. Burnam & Co. and was completed in 1896, taking only a year to build
  • Cost of $3.5 million dollars in 1896

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • The terracotta cornice was removed in 1971. No attempt has been made to restore it since.

Other Pertinent Facts

  • It was the largest office building in the world for more than a decade at the time of its construction
  • In 1896 it contained the earliest known dedicated motion picture theater in the world
  • Part of the Joseph Ellicott Historic Preservation District

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-04-01 • Last changed 2016-11-29