Demolished, September 2016
Photo credit: David Steele
- 31 Roberts Avenue, Mayville NY 14722
- Chautauqua County, within the Chautauqua Institution grounds
- SBL Number: 297.32-2-1
- Google Bird's Eye View
- Link to County GIS Map Page
4,000 seat amphitheater at the historic Chautauqua Institution.
- Being demolished, September 2016.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Being demolished, September 2016.
- January 27, 2015 - National Trust for Historic Preservation: "This morning, we (along with our partners Preservation Buffalo Niagara and the Preservation League of New York State) announced our newest National Treasure project -- the historic Chautauqua Amphitheater in western New York. Long recognized as a forum for American culture and history, its wooden stage has hosted Susan B. Anthony, Booker T. Washington, Thurgood Marshall, Bobby Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, and many, many others. Learn more about the amphitheater in the story below, and then join us in taking action to save it: "
- The Institution plans to renovate and enlarge this building.
- June 2015 - The National Trust for Historic Preservation has named the Amphitheater one of “America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places”. Buffalo News article.
- David Steele in Buffalo Rising, 2015-12-31: "The Board of the Chautauqua Institution voted today to proceed with an approximately $40M plan to demolish its historic Amphitheater(the Amp) and construct a new theater designed to mimic the original."
- January 25, 2016: A State Supreme Court judge issued a temporary restraining order Monday blocking Chautauqua Institution from taking actions leading to the demolition of the 1893 Amphitheater. (Buffalo News)
Other Pertinent Facts
- Chautauqua Institution Website
- Project Overview
- Save The Amp Website
- Save The Amp Facebook Page
- Petition to Save The Amp
- National Trust Treasures Page for Amphitheater
- Amphitheater History 2MB PDF
- 1-27-2015 - National Trust for Historic Preservation Names Chautauqua Amphitheater One of America’s National Treasures
- Buffalo Rising, 1-14-2015 - "Wrecking Chautauqua: Famous Amphitheater Scheduled for Demolition This Year"
- Buffalo News, 12-10-2014 - "State Favors Preservation of Chautauqua Institution Amphitheater"
- Buffalo News, 1-4-2015 - "Chautauqua Institution Should Rethink the Plan to Demolish Historic Amphitheater"
- Buffalo Rising, April 30, 2015 - "The Chautauqua Amphitheater: Demo Off the Table? Or Not?"
- Buffalo News - June 2015 - Chautauqua Amphitheater Called Endangered by Preservation Group
- Listing on 2015 "11 Most Endangered Historic Places"
- November 11, 2015 - Vince Michael's blog post "Chautauqua: Where America spoke"
- Buffalo Rising, 2015-12-31, "Chautauqua Amp Judgement: DEATH!"
- Buffalo News, 2016-01-25 - Judge issues order putting Chautauqua Amphitheater demolition on hold
■ Waldow Plumbing
■ 420-438 Carlton Street
■ Sacred Heart School
■ Sacred Heart Convent
■ Sacred Heart Rectory
■ Electric City Box Company
■ 2074 Seneca Street
■ 410 Main Street
■ 614 Walden Avenue
■ 616 Walden Avenue
■ 618 Walden Avenue
■ 700 Walden Avenue
■ Martucci Pizzeria Building
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
Added 2015-01-14 • Last changed 2016-10-27