Millard Fillmore Hospital, Gates Circle
|At Risk||Watch List|
Millard Fillmore Hospital, Gates Circle
This building was demolished in Fall 2015.
Click for larger images
Photo credit: TM Montante
3 Gates Circle, Buffalo NY 14209
- Lat, Long: 42.919674,-78.866661
- SBL Number: 89.79-4-1
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Map
- Bing Bird's Eye View
- Ellicott Council District
- Gates Circle is a traffic circle at the intersection of Delaware Avenue, Lafayette Avenue and Chapin Parkway
- This parcel and building complex is located opposite the south end of Chapin Parkway, part of Buffalo's Olmsted Park system
- Gates Circle Holdings LLC, c/o TM Montante Development
- Former location of Millard Fillmore Hospital at Gates Circle, last operated by Kaleida Health.
- A seven-acre site containing a number of buildings, formerly used as a hospital, medical offices and several auxiliary buildings.
- The largest building was demolished in Fall 2015.
- Remaining buildings are vacant and secured.
- The site has been used as a hospital since around 1911.
- Older buildings include the Buffalo Homeopathic Hospital., designed by George F. Newton in 1911, the Research Building (1911) and the South Nurses Building (1927). See photos at right.
- These older buildings are considered At Risk, as the developer intends to save them only if historic tax credits can be used for their rehabilitation, which remains to be seen.
- Location of Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital, last operated by Kaleida Health.
- The parcel is being redeveloped, partly as an apartment complex for senior citizens.
- Episcopal Church Home affiliates, operating as Canterbury Woods, is developing the part of the site adjoining the Circle. Designs for their proposed building have been a subject of controversy among nearby residents.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- The newest building, a tower comprising the largest component of Millard Fillmore Gates Circle's hospital complex, was demolished by implosion in Fall 2015.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Developer T.M. Montante's Gates Circle website
- Kaleida Health
- Canterbury Woods Gates Circle website
- Canterbury Woods website
- Buffalo Rising, 09-2013: Three Developers Interested in Gates Hospital Site
- Buffalo Rising, 11-2013: Mix of Uses Anchored by Canterbury Woods Proposed for Gates Circle
- Buffalo Rising, 12-2013: Kaleida Turns Gates Hospital Site Over to TM Montante Development
- Buffalo Rising, 05-2014: Canterbury Woods Begins Marketing Gates Circle Project
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: Community Forum Planned for Gates Circle Redevelopment Project
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: Fifty-one deposits taken for Canterbury Gates Circle project
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: First Look: Gates Circle Hospital Site Redesign
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: YMCA Takes Step Towards Anchoring Gates Circle Project
- Buffalo Rising, 08-2014: Questions Surround Demolition of Episcopal Church Home
- Buffalo Rising, 02-2015: Remedial Work Begins This Week at Gates
- Buffalo Rising, 04-2015: Demolition Watch: Gates Hospital
- Buffalo Rising, 05-2015: Going Large: Up to 470 Units Planned for Gates Site
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2015: Eight New Buildings Planned at Gates Site
- Buffalo Rising, 09-2015: Canterbury Woods Gates Circle Public Presentation @ Burchfield Penney
- Buffalo Rising, 09-2015: Canterbury Woods Preview @ Burchfield-Penny
- Buffalo Rising, 10-2015: There’s another fight a comin’… remember the first one?
- Buffalo Rising, 01-2016: Canterbury Woods Gains Planning Board Approval
- Buffalo Rising, 01-2016: Design of The Canterbury Woods building at Gates Circle is Under Fire
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
■ 126 Hawley Street
■ 550 Grant Street
■ 40 Barry Place
■ 101 Amherst Street
■ 475 Grider Street
■ 486 Franklin Street
■ 29 Tillinghast Place
Added 2016-01-17 • Last changed 2017-02-24