Millard Fillmore Hospital, Gates Circle
|At Risk||Watch List|
Millard Fillmore Hospital, Gates Circle
This building was demolished in Fall 2015.
Click for larger images
Photo credit: TM Montante
3 Gates Circle, Buffalo NY 14209
- Lat, Long: 42.919674,-78.866661
- SBL Number: 89.79-4-1
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Map
- Bing Bird's Eye View
- Ellicott Council District
- Gates Circle is a traffic circle at the intersection of Delaware Avenue, Lafayette Avenue and Chapin Parkway
- This parcel and building complex is located opposite the south end of Chapin Parkway, part of Buffalo's Olmsted Park system
- Gates Circle Holdings LLC, c/o TM Montante Development
- Former location of Millard Fillmore Hospital at Gates Circle, last operated by Kaleida Health.
- A seven-acre site containing a number of buildings, formerly used as a hospital, medical offices and several auxiliary buildings.
- The largest building was demolished in Fall 2015.
- Remaining buildings are vacant and secured.
- The site has been used as a hospital since around 1911.
- Older buildings include the Buffalo Homeopathic Hospital., designed by George F. Newton in 1911, the Research Building (1911) and the South Nurses Building (1927). See photos at right.
- These older buildings are considered At Risk, as the developer intends to save them only if historic tax credits can be used for their rehabilitation, which remains to be seen.
- Location of Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital, last operated by Kaleida Health.
- The parcel is being redeveloped, partly as an apartment complex for senior citizens.
- Episcopal Church Home affiliates, operating as Canterbury Woods, is developing the part of the site adjoining the Circle. Designs for their proposed building have been a subject of controversy among nearby residents.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- The newest building, a tower comprising the largest component of Millard Fillmore Gates Circle's hospital complex, was demolished by implosion in Fall 2015.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Developer T.M. Montante's Gates Circle website
- Kaleida Health
- Canterbury Woods Gates Circle website
- Canterbury Woods website
- Buffalo Rising, 09-2013: Three Developers Interested in Gates Hospital Site
- Buffalo Rising, 11-2013: Mix of Uses Anchored by Canterbury Woods Proposed for Gates Circle
- Buffalo Rising, 12-2013: Kaleida Turns Gates Hospital Site Over to TM Montante Development
- Buffalo Rising, 05-2014: Canterbury Woods Begins Marketing Gates Circle Project
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: Community Forum Planned for Gates Circle Redevelopment Project
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: Fifty-one deposits taken for Canterbury Gates Circle project
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: First Look: Gates Circle Hospital Site Redesign
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2014: YMCA Takes Step Towards Anchoring Gates Circle Project
- Buffalo Rising, 08-2014: Questions Surround Demolition of Episcopal Church Home
- Buffalo Rising, 02-2015: Remedial Work Begins This Week at Gates
- Buffalo Rising, 04-2015: Demolition Watch: Gates Hospital
- Buffalo Rising, 05-2015: Going Large: Up to 470 Units Planned for Gates Site
- Buffalo Rising, 06-2015: Eight New Buildings Planned at Gates Site
- Buffalo Rising, 09-2015: Canterbury Woods Gates Circle Public Presentation @ Burchfield Penney
- Buffalo Rising, 09-2015: Canterbury Woods Preview @ Burchfield-Penny
- Buffalo Rising, 10-2015: There’s another fight a comin’… remember the first one?
- Buffalo Rising, 01-2016: Canterbury Woods Gains Planning Board Approval
- Buffalo Rising, 01-2016: Design of The Canterbury Woods building at Gates Circle is Under Fire
■ 420-438 Carlton Street
■ Sacred Heart School
■ Sacred Heart Convent
■ Sacred Heart Rectory
■ Electric City Box Company
■ 2074 Seneca Street
■ 410 Main Street
■ 614 Walden Avenue
■ 616 Walden Avenue
■ 618 Walden Avenue
■ 700 Walden Avenue
■ Martucci Pizzeria Building
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
Added 2016-01-17 • Last changed 2017-02-24