The Mansion on Delaware / Sternberg House
Second Empire-style mansion with 20,000 sq.ft. and 200 windows
Fully renovated and in use as a 28 room luxury hotel
- 1869 - House built for Charles Sternberg, a grain elevator owner. Designed by architect George M. Allison . Sternberg died before the house was completed.
- 1880s - 'Samuel Curtis Trubee purchased the house, built an annex (later demolished), and turned the estate into a 100-room hotel'
- 1901 - Operated as a hotel during the Pan Am Exposition
- 1947-1977 - Well known as the site of the Victor Hugo restaurant
- 1980s-1990s - Left vacant and decaying
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2001 - Murphy and Principe’s InnVest Lodging Services purchased the property and performed a $2.7 million renovation, opening as a hotel in 2001.
- 2011 - The Mansion was inducted into Historic Hotels of America, an affiliate of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Part of the Allentown Historic Preservation District
- The Mansion on Delaware homepage
- Buffalo AH - Charles F. Sternberg House / The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
- City of Buffalo - Allentown Historic Preservation District map
- Buffalo Rising, September 2006 - Then and Now: A mansion becomes The Mansion
- Buffalo Rising October 2011 - The Mansion on Delaware Inducted into Historic Hotels of America
Added 2014-06-06 • Last changed 2017-07-12