Buffalo Central Terminal
|At Risk||Watch List|
Buffalo Central Terminal
Bruce Fingerhood (CC BY 2.0); Wikimedia Commons
Adjacent to the Belt Line.
The building is in an Art Deco style with a Roman-inspired interior. The office tower is 271 feet high. The concourse measures 225′x66′ and is 58.5′ high through the center vault, and 63.5 feet at the domed ends. The building's footprint is 523,000 square feet.
The office tower and main concourse are secure and being renovated through various fundraising initiatives by the non-profit owners. The baggage building is still exposed to the elements, and the train platforms have been severed from the building and are under separate ownership.
- 1925 New York Central Railroad, The City and Grade Crossing, and the Terminal Station Commission signed an agreement to allow Buffalo Central Terminal (BCT) to be built at its present location, 2.5 miles from Buffalo's downtown business district.
- 1927 Construction begins on the 17 floor office tower and terminal. All iron work done by Premier Fireproofing.
- 1929 - The Buffalo Central Terminal was built by the New York Central Railroad. It opened on June 22, 1929. It was designed by Fellheimer & Wagner.
- 1956 Due to loss of revenue and decline in train use by the general public, the BCT is put on the market for $1,000,000 (1/14th of its original cost) Does not sell.
- 1966 - Pullman Service Building, Coach Shop, Ice House, and Power House are demolished to reduce taxes and maintenance.
- 1971 - Amtrak is created. Amtrak takes over majority of the intercity passage service in the US. Uses BCT as its Buffalo Terminal.
- 1976 - Penn Central RR, Lehigh Valley RR, Erie-Lackawanna RR, Lehigh & Hudson River RR merge to form Conrail. Conrail now owns BCT.
- 1979 - Amtrak abandons BCT on October 28, in favor of using its new Dick Rd. Station in Cheektowaga, and the reopened downtown exchange station. Last train leaves BCT on October 28, 1979.
- 1979 - Anthony Fedele & Galesi Realty purchase BCT for $75,000.
- 1981 Pedestrian bridge from terminal to train concourse is demolished to allow passage of taller freight cars on the Belt Line. Property is subdivided.
- 1984 - BCT is placed on State and National Registers of Historical Places.
- 1986 Anthony Fedele defaults on taxes and US Bankruptcy Court Judge John W. Creahan orders foreclosure sale, the City puts BCT up for auction. Thomas Telesco buys the terminal for $100,000. He is the only bidder. He begins selling off the architectural artifacts and stripping anything of value.
- 1990 - Complex sold to Bernie Tuchman. The building continues to be neglected and exposed to vandalism.
- 1997 - Purchased by the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation (CTRC) for restoration.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- The Central Terminal Restoration Corporation was founded in 1997 to oversee the stabilization and restoration of the Central Terminal. Local preservationist Scott Field acquired the 18-acre site, including concourse, tower, and four story baggage building along Curtiss Street, from Samuel Tuchman and B.C.T Inc. for $1 plus the assumption of back taxes owed to the City of Buffalo.
- 1997 (August) BCT property transferred to Central Terminal Restoration Corporation. After almost 20 years of neglect and abuse, efforts begin to preserve this landmark.
- 1999 $1,000,000 in Erie County money set aside to rehab tower. Tower clocks re-lit Oct. 1st.
- 2003 After removal of 350 tons of debris, asbestos abatement in the main concourse, roof repairs, and enclosure of 4,000 windows, terminal is re-opened for tours
- 2004 Buffalo Central Terminal turns 75 with a big celebration. The CTRC receives $101,000 from the City of Buffalo for rehab of the building. Campaign to return the original concourse clock begins.
- 2005 May The concourse clock returns to Buffalo and is installed for the 2005 season in the concourse.
- 2007 The "new" CTRC celebrates its 10th anniversary. Dyngus Day returns to Central Terminal.
- 2013 - Partial replacement of roof, installation of solar panels, and repairs to Guastavino tile in main concourse.
Other Pertinent Facts
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
- Central Terminal Restoration Corporation
- Wikipedia - Buffalo Central Terminal
- BuffaloAH - New York Central Terminal
- Stinson Developments - Panoramic Tour
- Buffalo News, April 2015 - The News question to developers: How would you resurrect the Central Terminal?
- Buffalo News, December 2015 - Canadian developer interested in redeveloping Central Terminal
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
■ 126 Hawley Street
■ 550 Grant Street
■ 40 Barry Place
■ 101 Amherst Street
■ 475 Grider Street
■ 486 Franklin Street
■ 29 Tillinghast Place
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue ■ 471 Delaware Avenue ■ 950 Fillmore Avenue ■ 451 East Utica Street ■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield ■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue ■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue ■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue ■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue ■ 146 Jewett Avenue ■ 155 Grote Street ■ Locust Street Art ■ Schenck House ■ 44 East Eagle Street ■ 531 West Ferry Street ■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue ■ 123 West Tupper Street ■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors ■ Smither and Thurstone Building ■ 157 Philadelphia Street ■ 177 Herkimer Street ■ 289 Northland Avenue ■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue ■ 126 Hawley Street ■ 550 Grant Street ■ 40 Barry Place ■ 101 Amherst Street ■ 475 Grider Street ■ 486 Franklin Street ■ 29 Tillinghast Place
Added 2013-01-02 • Last changed 2016-05-12