Buffalo Savings Bank
545 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Now part of an entire city block parcel known as 575 Main
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Next to: 559 Main Street and 540 Washington Street
Across from: W.T. Grant's Department Store, DE Morgan Building, 11 Genesee Street, 9 Genesee Street, 5-7 Genesee Street, 537 Main Street, and Electric Tower
Beaux Arts Classicism bank building, on a corner parcel
The building is intact and serves as an M&T Bank branch
- 1846 - Buffalo Savings Bank (later Goldome) was chartered
- 1899 - Construction began at this location at a cost of $300,000. Designed by Green & Wicks.
- May 1901 - The Buffalo Savings Bank building opens
- 1982 - An addition to the north side, now called M & T Center, was added.
- 1991 - The Buffalo Savings Bank company became insolvent and was dissolved.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
Other Pertinent Facts
- Buffalo Local Landmark
- The gold-leafed dome measures 23 feet tall and 56 feet in diameter. It is covered with 13,500 terra-cotta tiles. The tiles originally were overlaid with copper. The tiles have been gilded three times. The 1979 restoration required 140,000 paper-thin sheets of 23.75-carat gold leaf at a cost $500,000 (more than the initial cost of the building).' Wikipedia
- 2010 - The bank was used in the filming of Henry's Crime, a movie with Keanu Reeves in which the bank is robbed.
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
Added 2013-09-04 • Last changed 2016-12-20