H-O Oats Office/Mill
The parcel is now listed as 42 Fulton, even though Fulton Street has been lost at that location.
The concrete HO Elevator location is now referred to as 225 Perry Street.
The brick buildings were at 54 Fulton.
Seneca Nation of Indians, per City Property Database
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
Multi-story brick facility (office, mill)
Demolished. Now a sprawling surface parking lot for a one story suburban style casino.
- 1890 - Edward Elsworth purchased Hornby's Oats
- 1893 - Elsworth expands to Buffalo
- 1983 - 90 years later, all production at the Buffalo plant ceased.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 1987 - A fire destroyed most of the complex, leaving only part of the milling structure and the iconic elevators.
- 2002 - The NYS office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation named the H-O elevators and 15 other Buffalo grain elevators as eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Early 2000's - Carl Paladino's Ellicott Development Co. had announced the possibility of converting the complex to residential loft apartments, then sold complex to Seneca Gaming instead.
- 2005 - The Seneca Nation of Indians purchased 9 acres, including the former H-O property, for use as a casino. Demolition began almost immediately.
- 2013 - The original casino stopped during construction, leaving only a 'temporary' building. Most of the parcel sat empty for years. The new plan wasted an entire city block with surface parking and a parking garage surrounding a small one story casino building in the middle.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Wikimapia - H.O. Oats Elevator Site
- Forgotten Buffalo - H.O. Elevator
- WNY Heritage Press - H.O. Oats Part 1
- WNY Heritage Press - H.O. Oats Part 2
- Buffalo Rising, November 2005 - Seneca Gaming Bought HO Oats for Backup
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
■ 126 Hawley Street
■ 550 Grant Street
■ 40 Barry Place
■ 101 Amherst Street
■ 475 Grider Street
■ 486 Franklin Street
■ 29 Tillinghast Place
Added 2013-11-27 • Last changed 2014-06-12