E&B Holmes Machinery / The Cooperage
|At Risk||High Risk|
55 Chicago Street Buffalo, NY 14204
- Lat, Long: 42.86974, -78.86845
- SBL Number: 122.10-2-16.1
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Map
- Bing Bird's Eye View
- Fillmore Council District
- At the south end of Chicago Street, at Ohio Street.
- Across Chicago Street from the vacant lot that used to be the Harbor Inn.
- Newark Niagara LLC, headed by local preservation architect Clinton Brown.
April 2017 - Ellicott Development has plans to purchase the property
- It is a roughly rectangular brick building composed of three primary sections of four-, three-, and two-stories, which encircle a central courtyard. The three sections are the Mill Building (ca. 1870), Forge Building (ca. 1910-1912), and Pattern Building (1913). (Wikipedia)
- Secure, but vacant/abandoned and deteriorating. 'The oldest portion of the building, known as the Mill Building suffered a partial collapse to the eastern wall, along with portions of the northwestern corner and the fourth floor.' Buffalo Rising
- E&B Holmes Machinery Co. was supposedly Buffalo's oldest business which operated with the same location and name. The company was started by Edward and Britain Holmes, in 1852. They specialized in the design of machines that made wooden barrels. Forgotten Buffalo
- The Holmes brothers, Edward and Britain, were among the thousands who came to Buffalo following the growth of the Erie Canal as a highway for commercial and economic growth in the nineteenth century. E&B Holmes was once the country’s leading barrel-making company and later became one of the country’s leading woodworking machine manufacturers, with numerous patents to its credit. The company was located at the site from the 1850's until 2001, when it downsized to a machine shop and moved from this location. (River Lofts Buffalo).
- From Richard Rockford: "They didn't really move or downsize after 2001. The owners, Dave and Andy Krafchak, went to work at Jentsch machine shop around the corner, bringing with them clients from E+B. By this time there was really no E+B, just a two or three man machine shop. Actually, up until almost that time, orders came in to replace parts that the Krafchaks had original drawings for. YES, this means that until the 90s, E+B would occasionally be asked by a distillery to replace an 80 to a 120 year old part! American stuff made after 1880 was just crap and would only last a century or so."
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2005 - Purchased by Newark Niagara LLC, headed by preservation architect Clinton Brown, for $30,000. Buffalo Rising
- 2008 - Currently known as The Cooperage. “We’ve taken out hundreds of tons of junk and debris” said Clint Brown "that had accumulated since E&B Holmes moved out in 2001." Buffalo Rising
- October 2008 - The Preservation League, a non-profit based in Albany, provided a $200,000 short-term loan under its Endangered Properties Intervention Program.
- 2009 - Preservation League of New York State helped with the additional shoring and stabilization of the building.
- February 2009 - Metro Contracting & Environmental Inc. filed a $149,000 mechanics lien and in May of that year filed a Lis Pendens. Buffalo Rising
- April 2011 + February 2015 - Payment motions filed on the 2009 lien according to County Clerk records. Buffalo Rising
- January 2013 - Safespan Scaffolding LLC filed a $563,000 mechanics lien that appears to be unresolved. Buffalo Rising
- January 30, 2013 - Public meeting on the the reconstruction of Ohio Street sponsored by Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation.
- July 16, 2013 - Community Meeting at the Old 1st Ward Community Center to discuss new plans for The River Lofts at the Cooperage on Chicago Street.
- April 12, 2017 - Business First's news feed reports that Ellicott Development will buy the Cooperage site in First Ward. 'Paladino wants to restore as much of the dilapidated factory as possible. Ellicott's plans call for market-rate apartments and, potentially, a restaurant anchoring the building.' Business First
Other Pertinent Facts
- It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
- River Lofts Buffalo
- National Register Nomination
- BuffaloAH - E&B Holmes Machinery Company
- Wikipedia - E&B Holmes Machinery Company Building
- Forgotten Buffalo - E&B Holmes Machinery Co. /Chicago Iron Works
- Buffalo Rising, September 2008 - Hope For The Cooperage
- Buffalo Rising, September 2008 - The Cooperage Redux: River Loft
- FixBuffalo, September 2008 - Lofts At The Cooperage
- Buffalo Rising, February 2009 - The Cooperage Dream to Reality
- Buffalo Rising, May 2015 - Cooperage Sits as Neighborhood Rises
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
■ 126 Hawley Street
■ 550 Grant Street
■ 40 Barry Place
■ 101 Amherst Street
■ 475 Grider Street
■ 486 Franklin Street
■ 29 Tillinghast Place
■ Amherst Motor Sales / Amherst Fence
■ Saints Peter and Paul Greek Catholic Russian Orthodox Church
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue ■ 451 East Utica Street ■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield ■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue ■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue ■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue ■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue ■ 146 Jewett Avenue ■ 155 Grote Street ■ Locust Street Art ■ Schenck House ■ 44 East Eagle Street ■ 531 West Ferry Street ■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue ■ 123 West Tupper Street ■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors ■ Smither and Thurstone Building ■ 157 Philadelphia Street ■ 177 Herkimer Street ■ 289 Northland Avenue ■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue ■ 126 Hawley Street ■ 550 Grant Street ■ 40 Barry Place ■ 101 Amherst Street ■ 475 Grider Street ■ 486 Franklin Street ■ 29 Tillinghast Place ■ Amherst Motor Sales / Amherst Fence ■ Saints Peter and Paul Greek Catholic Russian Orthodox Church
Added 2013-01-10 • Last changed 2017-04-12