Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


St. Michael's R.C. Church

  Saved  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/573WashingtonStreet-Draft?action=download&upname=StMichaels.jpg

Photo credit: army.arch on flickr

Location

573 Washington Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Also known as 651 Washington Street
SBL: 111.38-5-2
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Next to: Canisius [Washington St. Campus]
Across from: Market Arcade Theater, 634 Washington Street, Chippewa Market, Wehle Electric Building, Ellicott Lofts

Owner

ST MICHAELS ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH per City of Buffalo Property Information
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Physical Description

Current Condition

History

  • 1851 - Parish founded by the Jesuits, following a split from the nearby St. Louis RC Church. A small wood-frame church was built the present Church site.
    • The parish founded a grammar school soon after.
  • 1867 - The current church building was constructed
  • 1870 - The parish established Canisius College.
  • 1910 - Canisius College left the adjacent school
  • 1948 - Canisius High School left the adjacent school
  • 1962 - A lightning strike and subsequent fire required rebuilding the church by utilizing the remaining exterior shell, and reconstructing the church’s domed tower.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2014-07-08 • Last changed 2014-07-09