Saint Francis de Sales Church
|At Risk||High Risk||For Sale|
Photo credit: Mike Puma, Views of Buffalo and Wikipedia
575 Humboldt Parkway, Buffalo NY 14208
- Lat, Long: 42.91867, -78.84418
- SBL Number: 100.27-2-6.1
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Map
- Bing Bird's Eye View
- Masten Council District
- New Life Harvest World Ministries COGIC LLC
- Empty church buildings owned by New Life Harvest World Ministries COGIC LLC:
Former Roman Catholic church built of Indiana limestone with a ceramic tile roof. Romanesque style. 23,130 sq. ft. with 9ft ceilings in usable basement. 140-foot tall tower.
Abandoned by owner. Vacant. Partially stripped.
- Built in 1926.
- Architects: Murphy and Olmsted with George Dietel.
- Closed by the Diocese of Buffalo in 1993.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
A local preservationist reported on January 25, 2013: "I was told the current owner abandoned the building a few months ago. The building was stripped. Stained glass windows were removed and sold on eBay, but the sale was halted and windows recovered by police. The current whereabouts of the recovered windows are unknown. This building is likely headed for further deterioration and demolition."
Other Pertinent Facts
- Architect George Dietel also designed City Hall.
- Its location and contributing status in the Hamlin Park Historic District enables the owner to utilize the 20% or 40% historic tax credit program. The 20% path would assume homeownership only, but the 40% program requires the church to be an income producing property, i.e. multiple residential units, commercial space, or a restaurant for example. The nomination was prepared by Preservation Studios and recently listed on the State Register. It is currently at National Park Service for their review and listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
courtesy Mike Puma, Views of Buffalo
- Wikipedia article on 575 Humboldt Parkway
- Views of Buffalo - Saint Francis De Sales photogallery
- Buffalo AH article on 575 Humboldt Parkway
- Buffalo Rising February 2012 - Preservation Ready: The Churches of Buffalo
- Buffalo Rising June 2013 - St. Francis De Sales Church In Hamlin Park Is On The Market
- Views of Buffalo August 2013- St. Francis De Sales Church Gets a Price Chop
- Views of Buffalo May 2014 - St. Francis De Sales Church Gets Significant Price Cut
- December 2016, Craigslist For Sale Ad
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
Added 2013-01-26 • Last changed 2017-03-04