639 Main Street
Photo credit: WNY Heritage Press, Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo, Buffalo Rising
The Main Street portion of a larger parcel that now includes Jacob Dold Building, 628 Washington Street and 634 Washington Street
Adjacent to: Jacob Dold Building and 637 Main Street
Across from: Sheas Buffalo Theater
BUFFALO URBAN RENEWAL AGENCY C per propertyviewer
Four story brick commercial building with two rows of vertical bay windows up the length of the facade
Demolished. Later replaced as a two story glass atrium for the movie theater next door.
- Once the location of Cantilever Shoes and the Modern Electric Co.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Bijou Grille located on Main Street side
- Dipson Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre was on Washington Street side
- September 2014 - Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency (BURA) selected The Benchmark Group over other interested buyers, Rocco Termini and Nick Sinatra, for the 3 building complex. Benchmark is planning a $9 million renovation of the complex and will be bringing in AMC Theaters to run it.
- February 2016 - "Benchmark Group’s Market Arcade Theater LLC purchased the shuttered complex from the Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency yesterday for $250,000. Benchmark is planning a $9 million renovation. Also included in the sale is the two-story building housing Bijou Grill at 643 Main Street and a commercial building at 628 Washington Street." Buffalo Rising
Other Pertinent Facts
- Located in the Theater Historic Preservation District
- BuffaloAH - Historic Theatre District
- City of Buffalo Theater District Map
- Buffalo Rising Dec 2013 - What’s a Theater District Without Movie Theaters?
- TWC News March 2014 - Concern over future of Market Arcade Theater complex
- Buffalo Rising March 2014 - On the Market: Market Arcade Cinema Complex
- Buffalo News, June 2014 - Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre to shut down Thursday, but a return is in the works
- Buffalo Rising, September 2014 - Benchmark to Acquire Arcade Cinemas…to Remain Cinemas
- Buffalo Rising, February 2016 - Big Deal: Benchmark Buys Arcade Cinema Complex
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
■ 2040 Delaware Avenue
■ 24 North Main Street
■ Haglund / Arcade Building
■ Murray / Stearns Building
■ Frank's Casa Nova Restaurant
■ 298 Northland Avenue
■ 1491 Jefferson Avenue
■ 33 Brunswick Boulevard
■ Keystone Corporation Metal Shop
■ Keystone Corporation Headquarters
■ Bemis / Ransom House
■ 2126 Seneca Street
■ Voelker’s Lanes
■ Fire House Hose No. 1
■ Fire House Engine No. 5
Added 2013-08-30 • Last changed 2016-10-14