Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Michael J. Dillon Courthouse / Women's Christian Association

  Lost      Saved      Watch List  


http://wnyheritagepress.org/photos_week_2013/ywca_245_north/niagara_square_wca.jpg
http://www.preservationready.org/Buildings/68CourtStreet?action=download&upname=68CourtFBI.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8031/8016510391_46c184524c.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/68CourtStreet?action=download&upname=68Court.jpg
Photo Credit: WNY Heritage Press, FBI, Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo

Location

68 Court Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
SBL: 111.53-2-5
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Across from: Mahoney Office Building, Walbridge Building, Shea's Court Theatre, 112 Franklin Street , 60 Niagara Street , 64 Niagara Street , 70 Niagara Street , 74 Niagara Street , 1 Niagara Square , Chemical Bank Building / BAC, Townsend Hall, City Hall, Statler Hotel

Owner

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA per City of Buffalo Property Information

Physical Description

Seven story, 180,950 sq.ft. Art Deco / Art Moderne courthouse, with a mezzanine and a penthouse.

Current Condition

History

  • Former site of Women's Christian Association Building (1888)
  • March 7, 1927 - Women housed here and at the YWCA on Pearl moved to a building on North Street
History courtesy WNY Heritage Press
  • 1936 - Courthouse built. Designed by two Buffalo architectural firms, Green and Sons, and Bley and Lyman.
  • 1987 - 'The courthouse was renamed after Michael J. Dillon, an IRS agent shot to death while collecting a tax debt in 1983.' Buffalo News

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 2004 - 'Nominated to the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing element of the Joseph Ellicott Historic District.' Buffalo News
  • Spring 2016 - Used in filming of a movie about Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall
  • November 2016 - 'The Buffalo Common Council recently approved the purchase of the building, for $1, from the U.S. General Services Administration, for use as the cityís new police and fire headquarters, scheduled to open next September.' Buffalo News

Other Pertinent Facts

  • 'The Emergency Relief and Construction Act of 1932 authorized the construction of the courthouse, as part of the New Deal. Originally planned as a 12-story building, the courthouse shrunk to seven stories, because of funding issues. After all, it was built during the Depression. Buffalo News
  • Part of the Joseph Ellicott Historic Preservation District
  • Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
  • President Franklin D. Roosevelt was present at its opening.
  • Former police headquarters were located at 80 Erie Street and 74 Franklin Street

Availability

The U.S. General Services Administration isnít seeking a cash sale of the property. Instead, itís looking to trade the building for construction services at other facilities it controls.
The agency is issuing a request for information to seek ideas from the private real estate community. The request will be posted at www.fedbizopps.gov, and opens May 14, 2014 for 45 days.

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-10-25 • Last changed 2016-11-30