Larkin @ Exchange Building
Ten story, 600,000 sq.ft. steel reinforced concrete warehouse with six elevators. Designed in the International, Daylight Factory style.
Fully restored, converted to office space, and 100% leased.
- Designed in 1911 by Lockwood and Greene of Boston, and built by the Aberthaw Construction Co. in just over six months for the Larkin Soap Company.
- The Larkin Company owned the building until 1967 when it was sold to Graphic Controls.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2002 - Howard Zemsky, Joe Petrella, Bill Smith, and Doug Swift purchased the building from Graphic Controls for $1 million.
- 2002 - $40 million renovation began
Other Pertinent Facts
- Also known as the Larkin R/S/T Building.
- Located within Buffalo's oldest manufacturing district, the Hydraulics District.
- Sept 2009 - A nomination for State and Local Register of Historic Places was submitted for The Hydraulics on a Multiple Property Documentation Form, laying the groundwork for property owners to designate other buildings in the neighborhood as historic.
- Larkin @ Exchange homepage
- Wikipedia - Larkin Terminal Warehouse
- BuffaloAH - Larkin Terminal Warehouse
- Hydraulics Press - Larkin Terminal Warehouse Reborn
- BuffaloAH - State and National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form - HYDRAULICS/LARKIN NEIGHBORHOOD
- Daily Public, November 2014 - Heritage Insights: Larkin Terminal Warehouse
■ 398 Grant Street
■ Frontier House
■ John D. Smith Gas Fixtures
■ Victoria Theater
■ 347 Fargo Avenue
■ 1934 Elmwood Avenue
■ Pijan Roost Bar
■ Market Bar
■ Cheektowaga Town Hall
■ St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Home / MusicMall
■ Forks Hotel
■ Young & Swartz Inc.
■ 31 Barker Street
■ 1432 Niagara Street
■ 253 Allen Street
■ Imperial Building
■ Seneca Babcock Community Center
■ 171 Brinkman Avenue
■ 153 Brinkman Avenue
■ 217 Brinkman Avenue
■ 197 Brinkman Avenue
■ 201 Brinkman Avenue
■ 205 Brinkman Avenue
■ 209 Brinkman Avenue
■ Fire House Engine No. 20 - E.M. Cotter Fire Boat
■ Corner Bar
■ Chez Ami Restaurant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
Added 2013-01-09 • Last changed 2014-11-21