Buffalo Music Hall / Teck Theatre
766 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Also known as 766 Main Street
TECK ASSOCIATES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
The original hall was built in French Renaissance Revival style. The second hall was built in Romanesque Revival style. The movie theater redesign was called Pompeian Moderne.
Demolished. Vacant lot for two decades on a prominent corner of Main Street.
- 1882 - Home of Judge Ebenezer Walden, mayor of Buffalo 1838-1839, demolished for the Music Hall
- 1883 - Music Hall designed by August Esenwein and built by the German Young Men's Association
- March 25th, 1885 - Fire destroys first Music Hall
- 1887 - Construction of second Music Hall, designed by Richard Waite
- 1900 - Building became known as the Teck Theatre
- 1933 - The theater closed
- 1945 - The building became a movie theater, also named Teck. The building underwent significant interior and exterior changes.
- 1980s - The rear of the building was demolished to make way for a Pearl Street connector as a drain from the 33 into downtown
- 1992 - The remainder of the theater was demolished
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2006 - First Amherst Development Group announced an intention to develop the site of the Teck Theater and the Vernor Building into residential units, but the Vernor Building was demolished and no development on either site is currently planned.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Located in the Theater Historic Preservation District
- The original Teck Theater seated 3,350 in 2 separate halls. The movie theater had one screen and sat 1,362.
- BuffaloAH - Historic Theatre District
- City of Buffalo Theater District Map
- WNYHeritagePress - Teck Theater
- Cinema Treasures - Shea's Teck Theatre
- Performing Arts Archive - Shea's Teck Theatre
- Karl Josker Photography - Teck
- Karl Josker - Teck Theatre postcard
- Buffalo Rising June 2009 - Construction Watch: Main Street 700 Block
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
■ 2040 Delaware Avenue
■ 24 North Main Street
■ Haglund / Arcade Building
■ Murray / Stearns Building
■ Frank's Casa Nova Restaurant
■ 298 Northland Avenue
■ 1491 Jefferson Avenue
Added 2013-07-02 • Last changed 2016-10-27