St. Louis R.C. Church
Photo credit: Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo, Karl Josker, Chris Hawley
Roman Catholic 14th century continental Gothic style church with a Medina red sandstone exterior, located on a corner parcel.
The church is 234' x 134', with a max tower height of 245', and has a capacity for 2,000 people.
Original and in use
- January 5, 1829 - Louis Stephen Le Couteulx de Chaumont, a Buffalo resident of Noble French ancestry, deeded the plot of land at the corner of Main and Edward Streets for the first Catholic Church in Buffalo.
- 1832 - The first church structure to be erected on this site, then known as "Lamb of God" Church, was hand-hewn from lumber, much of it from the forest that stood on what is now Delavan Avenue.
- 1843 - A new brick church was built
- March 25th, 1885 - The brick church was destroyed by fire. The fire originated in the Buffalo Music Hall, which was located across the street, and spread rapidly to engulf the church.
- August 25th, 1889 - The current church structure, completed by Schickel & Ditmar of NYC, opened on the Feast of Saint Louis
- 1958 - Due to erosion of the masonry, the turret was rebuilt.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Renovations were performed in 2003
Other Pertinent Facts
- Part of the Allentown Historic Preservation District
- As early as the 1830's a school was established. In 1850 the school building (directly behind the Church) was erected. At its closing in 1959 it was the oldest educational institution continuously in existence in New York State. It was torn down in 1986.
- St. Louis Church homepage
- BuffaloAH - St. Louis RC Church
- Wikipedia - St. Louis Roman Catholic Church
- City of Buffalo - Allentown Historic District map
Added 2014-05-19 • Last changed 2014-09-12