St. Louis R.C. Church
Photo credit: Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo, Karl Josker, Chris Hawley
Roman Catholic 14th century continental Gothic style church with a Medina red sandstone exterior, located on a corner parcel.
The church is 234' x 134', with a max tower height of 245', and has a capacity for 2,000 people.
Original and in use
- January 5, 1829 - Louis Stephen Le Couteulx de Chaumont, a Buffalo resident of Noble French ancestry, deeded the plot of land at the corner of Main and Edward Streets for the first Catholic Church in Buffalo.
- 1832 - The first church structure to be erected on this site, then known as "Lamb of God" Church, was hand-hewn from lumber, much of it from the forest that stood on what is now Delavan Avenue.
- 1843 - A new brick church was built
- March 25th, 1885 - The brick church was destroyed by fire. The fire originated in the Buffalo Music Hall, which was located across the street, and spread rapidly to engulf the church.
- August 25th, 1889 - The current church structure, completed by Schickel & Ditmar of NYC, opened on the Feast of Saint Louis
- 1958 - Due to erosion of the masonry, the turret was rebuilt.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Renovations were performed in 2003
Other Pertinent Facts
- Part of the Allentown Historic Preservation District
- As early as the 1830's a school was established. In 1850 the school building (directly behind the Church) was erected. At its closing in 1959 it was the oldest educational institution continuously in existence in New York State. It was torn down in 1986.
- St. Louis Church homepage
- BuffaloAH - St. Louis RC Church
- Wikipedia - St. Louis Roman Catholic Church
- City of Buffalo - Allentown Historic District map
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
■ 2040 Delaware Avenue
■ 24 North Main Street
■ Haglund / Arcade Building
■ Murray / Stearns Building
■ Frank's Casa Nova Restaurant
■ 298 Northland Avenue
■ 1491 Jefferson Avenue
Added 2014-05-19 • Last changed 2014-09-12