|At Risk||High Risk||Demolition By Neglect|
929 Sycamore Street, Buffalo NY 14212
- Lat, Long: 42.89788, -78.83694
- SBL Number: 111.28-2-9.12
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Map
- Bing Bird's Eye View
- Fillmore Council District
- Part of the four-building Transfiguration Church, School and Rectory Complex at Sycamore, Mills and Stanislaus Streets.
- Paul Francis Associates, Inc.
- Red brick 1,400-seat church in the Gothic Revival style.
- Contains murals by noted local church artist Joseph Mazur.
- Vacant and deteriorating.
- July 23, 1893 - Congregation founded
- 1896 - $70,000 church built with a 180-foot steeple and seating for 1,400. Polonia Trail
- Designed by Carl Schmill.
- 1985 - The school closes
- 1990 - The church was threatened with closure
- 1993 - Parish closed by the diocese
- 1995 - Building sold to the current owner, Paul Francis Associates, by the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo for $7,000.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- January 2017 - City considers emergency demolition of entire structure. Steve Karnath and Jessie Fisher convince them that the only current threat is the cupola. They secured a "small emergency grant from the National Trust, and Kevin Connors did an engineering evaluation confirming that this is the only part of the building posing a public issue." The city agreed and will use emergency funds for cupola removal and shoring the roof in this area.
- January 17, 2017 - Equipment is on site for cupola and roof work. Empire Dismantlement Corp. will do the work. PBN requested that the city salvage the cupola and place it in the building for storage.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Transfiguration Church page at BuffaloAH
- Church history by Francis Napora
- Polonia Trail - Transfiguration Church Complex
- David Torke's "Transfiguration Archive", many posts regarding this building
- Buffalo Rising, February 2007 - Transfiguration Church: Giving up the Ghost?
- January 2017 - Preservation Buffalo Niagara is looking to assist with a new ownership structure for the building. Contact Jessie Fisher if you have uses for such a space.
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
Added 2016-10-17 • Last changed 2017-02-24