|At Risk||High Risk||Demolition By Neglect|
929 Sycamore Street, Buffalo NY 14212
- Lat, Long: 42.89788, -78.83694
- SBL Number: 111.28-2-9.12
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Map
- Bing Bird's Eye View
- Fillmore Council District
- Part of the four-building Transfiguration Church, School and Rectory Complex at Sycamore, Mills and Stanislaus Streets.
- Paul Francis Associates, Inc.
- Red brick 1,400-seat church in the Gothic Revival style.
- Contains murals by noted local church artist Joseph Mazur.
- Vacant and deteriorating.
- July 23, 1893 - Congregation founded
- 1896 - $70,000 church built with a 180-foot steeple and seating for 1,400. Polonia Trail
- Designed by Carl Schmill.
- 1985 - The school closes
- 1990 - The church was threatened with closure
- 1993 - Parish closed by the diocese
- 1995 - Building sold to the current owner, Paul Francis Associates, by the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo for $7,000.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- January 2017 - City considers emergency demolition of entire structure. Steve Karnath and Jessie Fisher convince them that the only current threat is the cupola. They secured a "small emergency grant from the National Trust, and Kevin Connors did an engineering evaluation confirming that this is the only part of the building posing a public issue." The city agreed and will use emergency funds for cupola removal and shoring the roof in this area.
- January 17, 2017 - Equipment is on site for cupola and roof work. Empire Dismantlement Corp. will do the work. PBN requested that the city salvage the cupola and place it in the building for storage.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Transfiguration Church page at BuffaloAH
- Church history by Francis Napora
- Polonia Trail - Transfiguration Church Complex
- David Torke's "Transfiguration Archive", many posts regarding this building
- Buffalo Rising, February 2007 - Transfiguration Church: Giving up the Ghost?
- January 2017 - Preservation Buffalo Niagara is looking to assist with a new ownership structure for the building. Contact Jessie Fisher if you have uses for such a space.
■ 238 Carlton Street
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
Added 2016-10-17 • Last changed 2017-02-24