963 Main owned by FIRST NIAGARA BANK C/O HSBC BANK USA per propertyviewer
960 Washington (23 High Street) owned by UB Foundation Services Inc. (UBFS)
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database.
Multi-story brick brewery complex
- The brewery building was demolished.
- 963 Main was then a one story suburban-style bank branch with surface parking.
- 960 Washington had been an empty surface parking lot.
- The whole parcel is now under construction for UB Medical
- 1849 - Business originally built by Philip Scheu
- 1893 - A new, modern brewery was constructed.
- Had been converted to apartments prior to demolition
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2012 - UB purchases 960 Washington (23 High) from Evergreen Real Estate for 1.2 million. The parcel is one of three needed for a new $375 million University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- September 2013 - Projected start date of construction project
Other Pertinent Facts
- In the early 1900s, Main and High Streets were referred to as "the center of a fine residential district" and the brewery was "a pleasing addition to this part of the city because of its elegant and imposing architecture."
- The Buffalo News in 1908 said it was in "the heart of one of the finest residence sections" of the city and "in keeping with its location, artistic and highly decorated buildings have been constructed" for the brewery.
- Archive - History of Buffalo 1908 - German-American Brewery
- Archivaria - Buffalo and its German Community
- Buffalo Rising, November 2012 - UB Buys Property For New Med School
- Buffalo News, October 2013 - Building begins for a new UB medical school and culture
Added 2013-04-03 • Last changed 2015-08-10