Sattler's Department Store
998 Broadway Street Buffalo, NY 14212
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Next to, and now part of the same parcel as: Posmantur Men's Store
Across from: Broadway Market, Sattlers Annex, and Kobackers
KARNACK DEVELOPMENT LLC per City of Buffalo Property Information
Search NYS Corporation Database for KARNACK DEVELOPMENT
365,000 sq.ft. department store spanning most of the block. Previously home to a smaller three story Sattler's store, among a row of 2-3 story commercial and residential buildings.
Demolished in August 1987. Now a parking lot for a closed business, with a suburban style Aldi's in one corner.
- 1889 - Sattler's was founded by 17-year-old John G. Sattler when he opened a one-room shoe store in his mother's home at 992 Broadway. That store would eventually become Sattler's main store.
- 1950 - By 1950, it had expanded to cover 6 acres and a 365,000-square-foot flagship store.
- 1982 - By 1982 when it closed, the Sattler's chain was owned by United Department Stores.
- 1987 - The flagship store was razed and replaced with a K-Mart, which subsequently closed in 2002.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2002 - The K-Mart that demolished the Sattler closes after just 15 years in business, leaving an empty eyesore behind a large unused lot.
- 2012 - An Aldi's was built in the parking lot of the shuttered K-Mart building. Their original plan was to replace the K-Mart building, before they built in front of it. Despite community pressure to build to the curb, as Sattler's had been, Aldi's was built with a suburban set back.
Other Pertinent Facts
- "The most famous address in Buffalo"
- Wikipedia - Sattler's
- Forgotten Buffalo - Sattler's 998
- Forgotten Buffalo - Sattler's Jingle
- Broadway Fillmove Alive - Broadway-Fillmore 1971
- Buffalo Rising - Aldi's eyes KMart/Sattler site
- Buffalo Rising - Aldi's Construction Watch
- Buffalo Rising: On The Market: K-Mart at 998 Broadway
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
■ 2040 Delaware Avenue
■ 24 North Main Street
■ Haglund / Arcade Building
■ Murray / Stearns Building
■ Frank's Casa Nova Restaurant
■ 298 Northland Avenue
■ 1491 Jefferson Avenue
■ 33 Brunswick Boulevard
■ Keystone Corporation Metal Shop
■ Keystone Corporation Headquarters
■ Bemis / Ransom House
■ 2126 Seneca Street
■ Voelker’s Lanes
■ Fire House Hose No. 1
Added 2013-01-08 • Last changed 2017-03-13