9 Genesee Street
Nathaniel Fountain, Genesee Block LLC
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
The oldest building in the Main-Genesee Historic District (circa-1845).
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- July 2005 - Spa Lofts LLC purchased the property for $74,500.
- Feb 2006 - Plans had called for 800 sq.ft. storefront plus use of the basement, 800sq.ft. second floor apartment, and a 1200 sq.ft third floor apartment that included a 4th floor loft space
- 2008 - The fully-gutted building was put up for sale with a $140,000 asking price.
- July 2011 - Common Council passed a resolution titled "Revitalization of the 500 Block of Main Street." All 500 Block owners with unoccupied buildings were requested to appear before the Council, and more aggressive enforcement was requested for City code violations.
- October 2012 - 9 Genesee Street purchased for $60,000. Plans call for two residential units and first floor commercial space.
- May 2013 - Preservation Board receives project application that "will return the oldest building in the district to full time use. The comprehensive restoration of the building exterior, including new restored storefronts, all new windows, masonry cleaning/repointing and new roof, the project also entails a complete adaptive re-use of the building interior."
- May 2013 - Architect Steve Carmina is purchasing the building and turning it into commercial space and his personal residence.
- January 2013 - Renovation expected to be completed
- November 2014 - Don Warfe announces plan to open first 'Just Fries' eatery in first floor storefront
Other Pertinent Facts
- Located in the 500 Block local historic preservation district
- BuffaloAH - Local Historic Preservation District 500 Block Main
- Preservation Board - 500 Block Map
- Buffalo Rising, February 2006 - Spa Lofts Show and Tell
- Buffalo Rising, February 2008 - 9 Genesee On The Market
- Buffalo Rising, October 2012 - 9 Genesee Purchased
- Buffalo Rising, May 2013 - Steve Carmina Plans 500 Block Move
- Buffalo Rising, October 2013 - Construction Watch: 500 Block
- Buffalo Rising, November 2013 - Construction Watch: 9 Genesee Street
- Buffalo Rising, November 2014 - Just Fries: Buffalo’s First and Only French Fry Café
Added 2013-01-14 • Last changed 2014-11-04