Bethlehem Steel Administration Building
1966 Fuhrmann Blvd., Lackawanna, NY 14218
- Google Bird's Eye View
- SBL: 141.11-1-50
- Erie County Property Info
- County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
- Approximately 1/4 mile north of the Ridge Road exit, between Route 5 and Lake Erie.
- Gateway Trade then Steven Detwiler, President, Buffalo Crushed Stone.
Beaux Art Classical style stone building.
Demolished 2013. Vacant lot.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- May 2012 - Owner attempts to use $500,000 RestoreNY grant, intended for an adaptive re-use study, as demolition funds. Demo halted when discovered.
- Fall 2012 - Interested parties offer to purchase the building or donate to its renovation.
- Jan 10, 2013 - A controlled demolition starts based on a false report of structural instability
- Feb 2013 - A previously hidden structural engineering report disproves the basis for emergency demolition by having declared the building structurally sound. Demo permit temporarily halted.
- March 2013 - Owner briefly agrees to sell to interested parties from previous year. However, a court lifted the hold on the demo order. At this point, workers were instructed to go to the front facade and damage anything of architectural value before proceeding with the demo from the rear.
Other Pertinent Facts
- I'm Steel Standing Website
- BuffaloAH - Bethlehem Steel North Office
- Buffalo Rising - Demo Halted Over Grant Mis-use
- Buffalo Rising - Bethlehem Steel Demo Begins
- Buffalo Rising - Uncovered Structural Engineering Report Declares Building Sound
- Buffalo Rising - Professional Team To Explore Rehab
- Buffalo Rising - Demolition Halted Due To Illegally Issued Permit
- Buffalo Rising - Owner Agreed to Sell Hours Before Demo
- fixBuffalo - Bethlehem North Office photo gallery
■ 238 Carlton Street
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
Added 2013-01-09 • Last changed 2017-06-21