FAIRFIELD COMMONS, LLC per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database.
Renovated into 5 apartments and some office space. A parking lot was added to a portion of the front lawn.
- late 1890s - The building was designed by architect and nearby resident William Sydney Wicks.
- 1897 - Built for the Unitarian Universalist Church.
- 1912 - The Unitarian congregation disbanded and sold the building to Parkside Lutheran.
- 1924 - Parkside Lutheran built a more grand church for themselves at Wallace and Depew in Central Park and sold this building to the City of Buffalo for use as a library.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2005 - Despite being the second busiest neighborhood library branch, it was closed due to county cut-backs in October of 2005 and received little or no maintenance since. Buffalo Rising
- 2012 - Two proposals for re-use surfaced. The first would have been for a private residence, making the building a landmark, and placing it on the state and national register of historic places. The couple with that proposal stepped out of the running for the building, leaving the second proposal as the winner. Creative Structure Solutions suggested turning it into apartments. Concerns with that plan arose with their opposition to making it a local landmark, along with interest in modifying the exterior and using vinyl windows.
- 2013 - The building undergoes a $1 million renovation and conversion into apartments. The exterior was not modified as originally proposed, but a parking lot was added on a portion of the lawn.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Fairfield Commons Website
- BuffaloAH - Parkside Unitarian Church/Fairfield Library
- Buffalo Rising - Groundhog Day: Is This One Doomed Too?
- Buffalo Rising - The Fairfield Library
- Buffalo Rising - Fairfield Preservation Ready
- Buffalo Rising - Fairfield Landmark Meeting
- Buffalo Rising - Fairfield Conversion
- Buffalo Rising - Fairfield Commons Project Completed, Kenmore Avenue Conversion Underway
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
Added 2013-01-08 • Last changed 2013-07-10