Genesee (Hotel) Building / Hyatt
Photo credit: WNY Heritage Press via Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo and Library of Congress, Karl Josker
532 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
Parcel now called 364 Pearl Street and labeled 2 Fountain Plaza
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Sixteen story, Renaissance-Revival building on a corner parcel. Steel frame, concrete slab floors, double-hung steel windows, two floors of cast iron facade, brick and terra cotta on the upper floors, and copper roof.
Intact and in use as a hotel. Its impressive cast iron Genesee Street facade is blocked by an unfortunate 1983 addition
- 1842 - Wood-framed Genesee House was replaced by a brick structure of the same name.
- 1881 - The second Genesee House was replaced by the first Genesee Hotel
- 1923 - The Genesee Building was built as an office building
- Designed by architect E.B. Green
- 1983 - Developer Paul Snyder saved and renovated the building into his Hyatt Regency Buffalo Hotel. One hotel addition blocks Genesee Street, and the other destroyed the DE Morgan Building.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
Other Pertinent Facts
- Emporis - Genesee Building
- BuffaloAH - Genesee Building/Hyatt Regency-Buffalo
- WNY Heritage Press - Main, Genesee, Pearl Street Block Over Time Part 1: Main & Genesee
- WNY Heritage Press - Main, Genesee, Pearl Street Block Over Time Part 2: Genesee & Pearl
Added 2013-09-09 • Last changed 2016-05-07