Harbor Inn. Photo courtesy David Torke, fixBuffalo
286 Ohio Street, Buffalo NY 14203
At the south end of Chicago Street, corner of Ohio Street.
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Carl and William Paladino's company, Ellicott Development, or corporations it controls: (Ellicott Group LLC, Pearl Group LLC, Huron Group Inc, Tupper Group Inc, Deltup LLC, Del-Al LLC, 84 Group, 1238 Group, 1239 Group, 4858 Group, 5277 Group, 9274 Group, etc.), owns these buildings or parcels of preservation concern (not a complete list):
Saint Paul Mall, 61 Edna Place, Crosby Building, 514 South Park Avenue, 1050 Niagara Street, 1076 Genesee Street, 1173 East Lovejoy Street, 1175 East Lovejoy Street, 1179 East Lovejoy Street, 172 Franklin Street, 176 Franklin Street, 189 Saint James Place, 206 Ontario Street, Deck Bros. Building, 262 Ohio Street, Karle Saw Co., 809 Tonawanda Street, 85 East Market Street, 905 Elmwood Avenue, Baker’s Shoes Building, The Bellesara / Allentown Athletic, E&B Holmes Machinery / The Cooperage, Edmiston's Academy of Business, Ellicott Square Building, Fairmont Creamery, Fire House Chemical No. 3, Fire House Engine No. 8, Graystone Hotel / Berkeley Apartments, Grimm Block, Harbor Inn, Hens & Kelly Department Store, Holy Angels Academy, Jansen Brothers Harness Shop, Kaleida Health Facility [on Main], L.L. Berger Dept. Store / The Belesario, Meldrum-Edwards Building / The Antonio, Neisner Bros., Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory and School, Pleu Building, Seneca Plumbing & Heating Supply, Vars Building, Weed Co. Wholesale Building, [Original] Y.M.C.A. / Y.W.C.A. Building,
You can also view this list at Ellicott's category page.
Three-story Italianate style brick building, shaped to fit a triangular lot at Chicago and Ohio Streets.
Demolished in 2003. Vacant lot.
- 1868-69 - Built as Patrick Kane’s Bar & Boarding House, a classic 19th century harbor-front "saloon boss" tavern.
- 1872 - A second half of the building was added on, blending in to match the original structure. This included the addition of a grocery store.
- 1920s - Many of these rooms were combined to make larger apartments and a kitchen was added to the business to accommodate a dining area.
- 1949 - Purchased by Charlotte & Edward Salkey. Now called the “Harbor Inn”, a coffee shop was added on the Chicago Street side.
- 1950 - The signature “Lighthouse Sign” was added.
- 1976 - Upon Salk's retirement, Edward & Julia Malloy took over and expanded the Inn with a large dining room in the rear.
- 1996 - With the decline of industry in the area, the Inn closed, ending an era of 127 years of continuous operation.
- History via The Buffalo History Gazette
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 1995 - Purchased by Ellicott Development
- 2003 - Demolished by Ellicott Development.
- Paul McDonnell - "The victim of a Friday afternoon demo. Carl Paladino applied for a demo permit on a Friday afternoon so as not to bring attention to the building, and began demolition over the weekend. This incident prompted the Masiello administration to require all demolitions to come to the to the preservation board first."
- 2015 - Historical marker erected
Other Pertinent Facts
- WNY Heritage Press - Harbor Inn
- City of Buffalo - Painting and narrative description
- 1940's postcard
- WGRZ - Lost Buffalo: Harbor In
■ 1934 Elmwood Avenue
■ Pijan Roost Bar
■ Market Bar
■ Cheektowaga Town Hall
■ St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Home / MusicMall
■ Forks Hotel / Forks Hose Company #2
■ Young & Swartz Inc.
■ 31 Barker Street
■ 1432 Niagara Street
■ 253 Allen Street
■ Imperial Building
■ Seneca Babcock Community Center
■ 171 Brinkman Avenue
■ 153 Brinkman Avenue
■ 217 Brinkman Avenue
■ 197 Brinkman Avenue
■ 201 Brinkman Avenue
■ 205 Brinkman Avenue
■ 209 Brinkman Avenue
■ Fire House Engine No. 20 - E.M. Cotter Fire Boat
■ Corner Bar
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
Added 2013-01-28 • Last changed 2016-10-26