Kleinhans Music Hall
360 Pennsylvania Street, Buffalo NY 14201
Delaware Council District
SBL Number: 99.76-5-6
Erie County Property Info
Google Bird's Eye View
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Also known as 3 Symphony Circle.
City of Buffalo
- International Style music hall. From BuffaloAH: "The predominant lines of the music hall both outside and inside are smoothly curvilinear and sweeping, suggesting not only the shape of a stringed musical instrument but the shape of music itself in its motion and flow. The design resembles the shape of a violin or cello with the two lobes of the instrument housing the larger and the smaller concert auditoriums in the building. Thus, the shape of the structure suggests its function."
- The building consists of two main structures, the large main auditorium and the smaller Mary Seaton Hall, joined by a two-story lobby.
Still in use by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Designed by father and son architectural team, Eliel and Eero Saarinen.
- Construction began in 1938 and was completed in 1940. Construction photos here.
- The money to build the music hall was the bequest of Edward L. Kleinhans (died 1934), the owner of the famous clothing store. It was constructed to commemorate his wife Mary Seaton Kleinhans, a vocalist and pianist who died shortly after her husband in 1934. It has housed the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra since its completion.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- October 2015 - The Music Hall will be the centerpiece of FinnFest USA, starting October 12, 2015.
- August 2015: All the seats have been upgraded to larger ones.
Other Pertinent Facts
- It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1989.
- Kleinhans Music Hall - PBN Page
- Kleinhans Musical Hall - BuffaloAH
- Kleinhans Music Hall - Wikipedia
- Photographic archive
■ 420-438 Carlton Street
■ Sacred Heart School
■ Sacred Heart Convent
■ Sacred Heart Rectory
■ Electric City Box Company
■ 2074 Seneca Street
■ 410 Main Street
■ 614 Walden Avenue
■ 616 Walden Avenue
■ 618 Walden Avenue
■ 700 Walden Avenue
■ Martucci Pizzeria Building
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
Added 2013-04-22 • Last changed 2015-09-28