Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Erlanger Theatre

  Lost  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/120DelawareAvenue?action=download&upname=Erlanger1935.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/120DelawareAvenue?action=download&upname=Erlanger2006.jpg
http://u1.ipernity.com/43/99/41/33279941.382dabf3.640.jpg
Photo credit: WNY Heritage Press, Mark Paradowski

Location

120 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14202
Now part of a larger 70 Niagara Square parcel
SBL: 111.45-4-1.11
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

On the same parcel as: 75 South Elmwood Avenue, 103 Niagara Street , and 99 Niagara Street
Across from: Statler Hotel and Statler Garage

Owner

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA per City of Buffalo Property Information

Physical Description

Renaissance Revival-styled 1500 seat theater, later converted into offices.

Current Condition

Demolished. Now a federal courthouse.

History

  • 1927 - Built for Statler Hotels, Inc. and leased to Abraham Lincoln Erlanger
    • Architects Whitney Warren & Charles Wetmore, from New York City. The firm also designed Grand Central Station.
  • 1956 - The theater closed. A Rochester purchaser scheduled it for demolition.
  • 1959 - Darwin R. Martin (son of Darwin D. Martin) purchased the building and gutted the theater's interior for a conversion into commercial use.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 2005 - Tenant Lawley Insurance moved to the Pleu Building as the Erlanger was acquired by the federal General Services Administration and demolished to make way for the federal courthouse project
  • 2007 - Demolished for a federal courthouse. The courthouse wastes most of a city block with an empty lawn, and has been derided for its poor concrete facade on the north side.

Other Pertinent Facts

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2014-06-09 • Last changed 2016-10-27