807 Clinton Street


Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

807  Clinton Street
807 Clinton Street
807  Clinton Street
807 Clinton Street
Photo credit: Wikimedia, Edmund Haremski

807 Clinton Street, Buffalo NY 14210


  • Hope of Buffalo, Inc.
  • Hope of Buffalo is a non-profit prison ministry operated by Peaceprints of WNY.

Physical Description

  • Wood-frame church.

Current Condition

  • Vacant. Reports of walls bowing out.
  • Edmund Haremski on Facebook, January 13, 2024: "There are significant holes in the roof on the Smith Street side, and a lot of undulation in that same roof plane. That whole wall is leaning out towards Smith Street and also the front wall is leaning towards Clinton."


  • Built in 1909. Rebuilt after a fire in 1921.
  • Architects: Schmill & Gould
  • Was at one time owned by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Buffalo.
  • The school next to it was demolished in 2012:
  • James Napora:
    • In the first years of the twentieth century, the Hydraulics area experienced a second period of settlement as operations of the Larkin Company increased prolifically. Coupled with the other businesses and industries which had already and were to develop there, it became an attractive place for people to settle. At that time, with the city receiving a large number of Polish immigrants, many opted to settle close to their places of employment in the Clinton and Smith Street area.
    • As the area remained geographically removed from the city's traditional center of the Polish culture, residents found it necessary to travel to the closest Polish church, St. Stanislaus, on Peckham at Wilson, for mass. By 1908, the Catholic Diocese noted that a new parish needed to be established for the people of the area. In 1909, Bishop Charles Colton appointed Rev. Peter Pitass to establish a parish. He in turn surveyed the immediate neighborhood and found a high level of support for the proposal. **The new congregants were especially generous in their giving and on 27 September, 1909 they placed the cornerstone of their house of worship. Two months later, on 26 November they dedicated the building, completed at a cost of $8,000.
    • Tragedy struck the congregation when on 28 December, 1921 fire severely damaged their wooden church. The building remained closed for almost a year while being rebuilt. On 5 November, 1922 they rededicated their reconstructed edifice.
    • This substantial building has the distinction of being the only frame structure currently in use by a Roman Catholic congregation in the city. The quaint appearance of the exterior is mirrored in the simple interior treatment. Of special interest are the exceptional illuminated angels flanking the main altar.Sts. Peter & Paul School. At that time, the parcel was owned by the Diocese.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • The owner, "Hope of Buffalo", has requested to demolish the building. That request is on the agenda of the City Preservation Board as of January 12, 2024.

Other Pertinent Facts


Newest Pages

Added 2024-01-14 • Last changed 2024-01-14