1940 Niagara Street

Share:    

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

  AT RISK     WATCH LIST  


1940 Niagara Street
1940 Niagara Street

Photo credit: Mike Pesarchick, October 2022

1940 Niagara Street, Buffalo, N.Y., 14207

Next to: 1932 Niagara Street.

Owner

  • Niagara Street, LLC.

Physical Description

  • Two-story neoclassical brick meeting hall designed by E.B. Green.

Current Condition

  • In use as space for Gothic City Architectural Antiques, which also occupies 1932 Niagara Street

History

  • Constructed as a shared meeting hall for the Occidental Lodge No. 766 of Free and Accepted Masons and the North Buffalo Lodge No. 517 of Odd Fellows. Buffalo Enquirer, July 3, 1905
  • Cornerstones laid July 1, 1905; hall opened by October of that year.
  • Building purchased by Charlie Leone for $70,000 in 1996. Buffalo News, April 1, 1996

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • September 2022 - Endless Enterprises sells 1932 Niagara and 1940 Niagara to Niagara Street, LLC.
  • Investment team led by Amherst Supervisor Brian Kulpa and attorney Corey Hogan proposes $10 million commercial project at 1932, 1940 and 1962 Niagara. 1940 Niagara would become an art studio.

Other Pertinent Facts

  • The Unity Temple features two cornerstones, one for each lodge. Buffalo Enquirer, July 3, 1905
  • Building designed by E.B. Green. Buffalo News, March 2, 1997, p. F1
  • One of two sphinx statues guarding the front door was removed at some point.

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2022-10-13 • Last changed 2022-10-13