St. Mary's R.C. Church complex
1979 photo by BuffaloLore, 1986 photo source unknown
1980s photo David Torke fixBuffalo, 2013 photo by Mark Paradowski
Original property is now divided into multiple parcels, mostly as fields or new housing
19th century limestone church, four story brick convent, and three story brick school building
St. Mary's R. C. Church, School, and Convent are all lost. Only the St Marys Lyceum remains.
- 1844 - First St. Mary's Church built (180' x 40' feet brick building with little architecture)
- 1845 - Parochial school established
- 1848 - Bishop Timon laid the cornerstone of the new 186' x 81' foot limestone church
- 1851 - A new school was constructed
- For several years during this period, St. Mary's was the largest parochial school in the Diocese of Buffalo.
- 1900 - Father Stern began the renovation of the church, including installation of a new marble high altar, a new floor, and the decoration of the sanctuary.
- 1909 - Construction of the lyceum was completed
- 1981 - The church was closed and sold to a salvage firm who planned to demolish the building
- December 19, 1986 - Fire destroyed the church and school. Prior to the fire, many of the stained glass windows had been removed by the salvage company and had been given to the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society.
- A twisted copper cross, two statues, the altar stone and reliquaries, plus a quantity of the building's Medina limestone were donated to St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church
- May 1990 - Convent demolished
Recent Events and Actions Taken
New housing was built on the land formerly occupied by the church and school. The land for the convent is now an empty field next to the lyceum on Broadway.
Other Pertinent Facts
- BuffaloLore - St. Mary's Redemptorist Roman Catholic Church 1843 - 1981
- Google Books - Recollection of the fire in a book about a firefighter on scene
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ 711 Walden Avenue
■ 311 South Park Avenue
■ Karle Saw Co.
■ Howard Iron Works
■ 115 Lafayette Avenue
■ 135 School Street
■ 68 & 72 Sycamore Street
■ 301 Cedar Street
■ J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
■ 1212 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1200 Jefferson Avenue
Added 2013-07-18 • Last changed 2013-09-23