Fitch Creche


Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building


June 1998 mid demo

Photo credit: Michael James Schalk, BuffaloAH via John Conlin, PRS


159 Swan Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
SBL: 111.70-5-5
Fillmore Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Next to: Sibley & Holmwood Candy Factory
Across from: Simon Pure Brewery Factory Outlet


SWAN STREET BUFFALO LLC per City of Buffalo Property Information
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Physical Description

Three story brick building with full basement. 'In the basement were the matron's office, kitchen, laundry, reception-room for children, a small dining-room for the help, closets, and store-rooms... The entire second floor is devoted to the children, (including) a large schoolroom, a play-room, dormitory, bath-room, wardrobe, dining-room, closet, and water-closets. The third floor constitutes the infants' department, and consists of a nursery, dormitory, bath-room, closet, and water-closets. The fourth floor is given up to the infirmary and sleeping-rooms for the help.' Nathaniel S. Rosenau 1886

Current Condition

Demolished. Surface parking lot.


  • The building was a dry goods store that was owned by Benjamin Fitch, a native Buffalonian who donated this building for use by the Crèche.
  • January 6, 1881 - Maria M. Love, a prominent Buffalonian and social services pioneer established the Fitch Crèche, formed under the auspices of the Charity Organization Society of Buffalo.
  • 1885 - Had already taken care of 20,000 babies according to Harpers New Monthly
  • June 28, 1998 - Demolished.
Jerry M. Malloy, The Buffalo History Gazette

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

  • "Nationally recognized as the first day care center for the children of working women in the United States" and second in the world. Jerry M. Malloy, The Buffalo History Gazette
  • "It was the first to implement a Froebel Kindergarten in the U.S" Jerry M. Malloy, The Buffalo History Gazette


Newest Pages

Added 2017-12-16 • Last changed 2018-12-26