Bemis / Ransom House


Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Photo credit: Buffalore, Kim Smith


267 North Street, Buffalo, NY 14201
SBL: 100.69-6-8
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer


EMAX PROPERTIES LLC per City of Buffalo Property Information
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Physical Description

Per, it is a Flemish Renaissance Queen Anne home

Current Condition

In original condition and in use


  • 1885 or 1886 - Designed by Joseph Lyman Silsbee and James Marling, built for John Muzzy Bemis and his wife, Mary.
    • "Mr. Bemis owned a wholesale lumber company in downtown Buffalo until 1891 when the family moved to Pennsylvania...Bemis was a lumber baron who accumulated great wealth selling the abundant timber from area forests. The exquisite interior woodwork reflects Bemis's career success."
  • 1955-1981 - "Mr. and Mrs. Philip W. Ransom lived in the house. Mr. Ransom's career centered on real estate and investments. He was a descendant of Asa Ransom, an early settler of Western New York."
History via

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

Part of the Allentown Historic District


Newest Pages

Added 2017-01-04 • Last changed 2017-01-04