Deveaux Woods Brick Barn
|At Risk||Imminent Risk||Demolition By Neglect|
August 25, 2017
Wikipedia contributor Pubdog (Public Domain), KC Kratt, Elizabeth Licata, NF Reporter
3180 De Veaux Woods Drive East, Niagara Falls, NY 14305
- Also 2900 Lewiston Road
- Google Bird's Eye View
- Niagara County Property Info
- Lat, Long: 43°07'12"N 79°03'36"W
- New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) per Buffalo Spree/2013
- Previous owners include: Niagara County, the City of Niagara Falls, Niagara University, BOCES, and NCCC
- NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
- 2.5 story Italianate style brick barn with arched windows, wide wood doors, and a front gable
- Maintenance has been deferred and it is being threatened with imminent demolition (July 2017).
- Temporary tarp covering deteriorating roof was blown off in a wind storm (March 2017).
- Built 1863.
- Once part of the DeVeaux School, a boys’ school that shut down in 1972.
- The park grounds were the former Niagara University DeVeaux campus and the original site of the Castellani Art Museum.
- 1974 - Granted National Register status as part of the Deveaux School Historic District.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2000 - Ownership was handed over to the State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP)
- 2001 - Niagara University deeded the park property and its buildings to the state
- 2004 - Barn added to the local landmarks list
- 2010 - 'A number of local citizens banded together to create a task force when they learned the OPRHP was considering demolition of the barn. Efforts are ongoing, but the lack of funding has stymied any efforts at serious restoration.' Buffalo Spree
- 2013 - 'Mary Ann Rowland, Chair of the Niagara Falls Preservation Society, is concerned that by last winter, no one had replaced or protected the barn’s roof. She and others wrote letters and made phone calls to the OPRHP to no avail, and finally put a tarp on the roof as a stop-gap effort to keep snow off.' Buffalo Spree
- March 8, 2017 - 80mph wind storm damages makeshift tarp, 'exposing decayed wooden rafters and interior of the building' NF Reporter
- July 2017 - Christopher Puchalski: "Parks has informed City Planner Tom DeSantis that the 1863 Deveaux Woods Brick Barn will be demolished at any time. Further, the justification basically comes down to - the bricks will be re-used in repair and reconstruction projects at Old Fort Niagara. "
- July 2017 - According to Niagara Falls City Councilman Ken Tompkins: “(State Senator Robert) Ortt’s office is helping me on this. I’ve reached out to (Western District Director and newly-minted Assistant Deputy Commissioner) Mark Thomas and to (Assemblymember) Angelo Morinello and our (Niagara Falls) Historic Preservation Committee.” NF Reporter
Other Pertinent Facts
- One of the few brick barns in the region, according to James Bragg of the City of Niagara Falls Planning Department.
- 'The barn is now part of DeVeaux Woods State Park, one of the only old-growth American forests in an urban setting.' Buffalo Spree
- Wikipedia - Deveaux School Historic District
- Buffalo Spree, July 2013 - Historic structures in Niagara County
- Niagara Falls Reporter, July 2017 - State Parks neglects DeVeaux Carriage Barn
■ 238 Carlton Street
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
Added 2017-07-14 • Last changed 2017-08-30