Share This Page On Social Media on Canisius [Washington St campus] at "Comment On This Page"|Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building

Canisius [Washington St campus]

Photo courtesy of Canisius College, Jerry Malloy The Buffalo History Gazette, Mark Paradowski


677 Washington Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
SBL: 111.38-5-1
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
The address was considered 651 Washington when it was Canisius High School

Next to: St. Michael's Church
Across from: 664 Washington Street


United States Postal Service

Physical Description

5 story brick and stone structure next to St. Michael's Church

Current Condition

Demolished in 1950s


Construction began in 1871. The school opened in September 1872. The building was enlarged in 1880. Canisius High School and College shared the location for 40 years. In 1912, Canisius College moved to Main and Jefferson, turning the the Washington Street school over to the exclusive use of the high school.

In 1944, the CHS Jesuits purchased the former Masonic Consistory, which in turn had incorporated the former George F. Rand mansion, at 1180 Delaware Avenue. Between 1944 and 1948, the high school classes were split, before all students were moved to the Delaware Avenue location.

The structure on Washington was demolished some time in the 1950s. The entire parcel has since been replaced by an extremely low density single use Post Office.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • April 2016 - "The U.S. Postal Service has decided to close the Ellicott Station post office located at 677 Washington Street and sell the property." Buffalo Rising

Other Pertinent Facts


Newest Pages

Added 2013-02-05 • Last changed 2016-10-14