Pierce Company / Birzon Building


Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

1980s: David Torke, fixBuffalo. Main St: Mike Puma Views of Buffalo.


686 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
Ellicott Council District
SBL: 111.30-5-6
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

The Main Street side of 495 Pearl Street
Adjacent to the 678 Main Street and near 698 Main Street


John Barry, dba, 686 MAIN STREET LLC C/O JOHN BARRY per propertyviewer
Search NYS Corporation Database for 686 MAIN STREET

Physical Description

Three-story 30,000 sq. ft. terra-cotta and brick Beaux Arts style building that extends from Main Street to Pearl Street, each side having its own facade

Current Condition

Structurally sound but in need of renovation


  • 1901 - Constructed by George N. Pierce Company, a bicycle manufacturer that later sold automobiles.
  • 1930 - Mendleson Furniture occupied the building for forty years.
  • 2004 - Jeweler Sid Birzon, the building’s last occupant, moved to Niagara Falls Boulevard in 2004.
History courtesy Buffalo Rising

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • 2005 - John J. Barry Jr. purchased the vacant building in September for $150,000
  • 2006 - Renovation plans submitted to the Preservation Board
  • 2007 - The $2.95 million renovation plan was approved for a $400,000 loan from the City’s not-for-profit local development corporation. Primary funding was to come from the Community Preservation Corporation and historic state and national tax credits.
  • 2012 - The stalled project got a boost with $45,000 in funding from the New York Main Street Revitalization grants program
  • 2013 - A first floor facade restoration plan was submitted to the Preservation Board
Recent Actions courtesy Buffalo Rising
  • March 2014 - Chris Jacobs and Paul Kolkmeyer are potentially joining owner John Barry as investors in a project that would join the second floor with its neighbor at 678 Main Street as part of a renovation

Other Pertinent Facts

  • Located in the Theater Historic Preservation District


Newest Pages

Added 2013-08-28 • Last changed 2015-07-08