Pierce Company / Birzon Building
|At Risk||Watch List|
John Barry, dba, 686 MAIN STREET LLC C/O JOHN BARRY per propertyviewer
Search NYS Corporation Database for 686 MAIN STREET
Three-story 30,000 sq. ft. terra-cotta and brick Beaux Arts style building that extends from Main Street to Pearl Street, each side having its own facade
Structurally sound but in need of renovation
- 1901 - Constructed by George N. Pierce Company, a bicycle manufacturer that later sold automobiles.
- 1930 - Mendleson Furniture occupied the building for forty years.
- 2004 - Jeweler Sid Birzon, the building’s last occupant, moved to Niagara Falls Boulevard in 2004.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2005 - John J. Barry Jr. purchased the vacant building in September for $150,000
- 2006 - Renovation plans submitted to the Preservation Board
- 2007 - The $2.95 million renovation plan was approved for a $400,000 loan from the City’s not-for-profit local development corporation. Primary funding was to come from the Community Preservation Corporation and historic state and national tax credits.
- 2012 - The stalled project got a boost with $45,000 in funding from the New York Main Street Revitalization grants program
- 2013 - A first floor facade restoration plan was submitted to the Preservation Board
- March 2014 - Chris Jacobs and Paul Kolkmeyer are potentially joining owner John Barry as investors in a project that would join the second floor with its neighbor at 678 Main Street as part of a renovation
Other Pertinent Facts
- Located in the Theater Historic Preservation District
- BuffaloAH - Historic Theatre District
- City of Buffalo Theater District Map
- Buffalo Rising, February 2006 - Update: 686 Main Street
- Buffalo Rising, August 2007 - Birzon Renovation on Track
- Buffalo Rising, April 2013 - Façade Work at 686 Main Street Proceeding
- Buffalo Rising, October 2013 - Construction Watch: 686 Main Street
- Buffalo News, March 2014 - Birzon building in Theater District in line for a makeover
- Buffalo Rising, March 2014 - Jacobs to Assist with Birzon Building Reuse
- Business First, September 2014 - Main Street Building Due For Six Million Dollar Makeover
- Buffalo Rising, July 2015 - Construction Watch: Birzon Building at 686 Main Street
Added 2013-08-28 • Last changed 2015-07-08