Saint Adalbert Basilica
|At Risk||Watch List|
208 Stanislaus Street Buffalo, NY 14212
Fillmore Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
May also be 212 Stanislaus Street
ST ADELBERT ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH SOCIETY per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
Romanesque & Byzantine influenced Polish Cathedral style of church, with brick construction. Its dimensions are 240 feet long, 118 feet wide, and 70 feet high. The two towers are 150 feet high, and the dome is 40 feet wide and 125 feet above the main nave.
Intact and semi-operational church, fighting to remain open.
The parish was founded in 1886, with the current structure built by Huber and Company in 1890-1891, mostly by Polish immigrants. It was the largest church in Western New York when constructed, and cost $63,000 without the furnishings. The 36 stained glass windows of the Basilica were produced by Franz Mayer & Co. of Munich, Germany. The interior was decorated by Jozef Mazur.
The school and convent were built in 1905 at a cost of $90,000. At its peak, the school educated over 1,000 students.
St. Adalbert's is one of the many Polish parishes in the Buffalo Diocese threatened by closure under a 2007 organizational plan.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- November 2, 2013 - Chris Byrd has organized a "Mass Mob", an invitation to everyone to attend mass in support of St. Adalbert's.
- Early 2013 - Parish continues to fight for its survival with occasional events and masses
- Sept 2011 - The final regularly scheduled Mass at St. Adalbertís was to be celebrated on Sept. 18, 2011
- marked the end of the yearlong observance of the 125th anniversary of the parish
- Feb 2008 - Vatican's highest Canonical Court upheld Bishop Edward Kmiec's decision to close the church.
- An appeal was made by the "Save St. Adalbert" committee, and the process was delayed
- Nov 2007 - Last mass was scheduled for November 25, 2007, but had been put on hold pending parish appeal to the Vatican.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Saint Adalbert's was designated America's first basilica in 1907
- Buffalo Mass Mob website
- Church website
- Wikipedia - St. Adalbert's Basilica
- Broadway Fillmore Alive - Neighborhood Website
- Forgotten Buffalo - St. Adalberts Basilica
- WKBW - Will St. Adalbert's Be Saved?
- City of Buffalo Preservation Board - Broadway Fillmore Neighborhood
■ Lucy Curley Building
■ 1440 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1567 Genesee Street
■ 954 Sycamore Street
■ 895 Sycamore Street
■ 893 Sycamore Street
■ 889 Sycamore Street
■ 887 Sycamore Street
■ 856 Sycamore Street
■ 854 Sycamore Street
■ 850 Sycamore Street
■ 311 Walnut Street
■ 832 Sycamore Street
■ 830 Sycamore Street
■ 777 Sycamore Street
■ 686 Sycamore Street
■ 417 Sherman Street
■ 636 Sycamore Street
■ 582 Sycamore Street
■ 204 Sycamore Street
■ Unity Missionary Baptist Church
■ 128 Sycamore Street
■ 125 Sycamore Street
■ 117 Sycamore Street
■ 108 Sycamore Street
■ Eberl Iron Works Inc
■ 164 Sycamore Street
■ 403 Genesee Street
■ 365 Genesee Street
■ 413 Genesee Street
Added 2013-01-15 • Last changed 2013-10-23