Simon Pure Brewery Complex


Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Historic view from Eagle St via David Torke fixBuffalo,
current photo from Clinton Street


143 Emslie Street Buffalo, NY 14210
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
SBL: 111.75-1-39
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer


H O S ENTERPRISES per propertyviewer
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database.

Physical Description

Multi-story red brick brewery complex on the south east corner of Clinton and Emslie

Current Condition

The buildings are worn but secure. The painted sign is fading but still visible. There is a carved stone sign in white, "The William Simon Brewery Bottling Department."


Founded in 1853 as the John Schusler Brewery. German brewer William Simon became its brew master, and purchased the company in 1896. It reopened after Prohibition and built a strong local following. The William Simon Brewery managed to outlast all the other breweries in Buffalo, finally closing in 1973.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • June 2011 - William Simon IV explained that he is in the midst of fixing up the building and hopes to one day turn it into a brewery again (Buffalo Spree)

Other Pertinent Facts


Newest Pages

Added 2013-01-18 • Last changed 2014-07-23