1491 Niagara Street
|At Risk||Watch List|
Derik Kane, Buffalo Rising
1479 Niagara Street, Buffalo, NY 14213
- Also known as 1485 - 1491 Niagara Street or 1479 Niagara Street
- SBL: 88.74-1-33.1
- Niagara Council District
- Google Bird's Eye View
- Erie County Property Info
- County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
- City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
- Across from: F.N. Burt / Bison Storage / Crescendo
Bowmart Niagara LLC
Four story brick industrial building
Appears to be in good structural condition, but is missing most of its original windows. The building may have had its fourth floor added later, as well as having a portion of the building demolished.
- Former home of Aldrich & Ray Manufacturing Company.
- Derik Kane: Established in 1879 by Schuyler Aldrich. By 1886 both Isaac A. Aldrich and George A. Ray were admitted as partners. Early on the company produced small copper goods but as the company grew they manufactured a full line of hotel, restaurant and home goods. By the turn of the century they were concentrating on the production of soda fountain apparatuses. Annually, they used about 800 tons of copper and many tons of brass. This factory was designed by Frank Kempf.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- September 2016: Architect Karl Frizlen is proposing conversion of this building into thirty apartments.
- October 2016: NYS Historic Preservation Office rejects the application for historic designation, citing the earlier demolition of part of the complex. Buffalo News: "In a rare defeat for a reuse project, a proposal to redevelop a former Niagara Street warehouse in Buffalo has fallen through after state historic preservation officials determined that the facility would not qualify because part of the complex had already been torn down."
- Developer Frizlen has halted the project, as its financials were dependent on the historic tax credits.
Other Pertinent Facts
- Buffalo Rising, September 2016: "Frizlen Proposes Niagara Street Reuse Project"0
- Buffalo News, September 2016: "Plans proposed for Niagara Street lofts with waterfront views"
- Buffalo News, 10-13-2016 - Frizlen's Niagara Project Fails to Win Historic Rese Support
■ 1567 Genesee Street
■ 954 Sycamore Street
■ 895 Sycamore Street
■ 893 Sycamore Street
■ 889 Sycamore Street
■ 887 Sycamore Street
■ 856 Sycamore Street
■ 854 Sycamore Street
■ 850 Sycamore Street
■ 311 Walnut Street
■ 832 Sycamore Street
■ 830 Sycamore Street
■ 777 Sycamore Street
■ 686 Sycamore Street
■ 417 Sherman Street
■ 636 Sycamore Street
■ 582 Sycamore Street
■ 204 Sycamore Street
■ Unity Missionary Baptist Church
■ 128 Sycamore Street
■ 125 Sycamore Street
■ 117 Sycamore Street
■ 108 Sycamore Street
■ Eberl Iron Works Inc
■ 164 Sycamore Street
■ 403 Genesee Street
■ 365 Genesee Street
■ 413 Genesee Street
■ Colonel Ward Pumping Station
■ Monroe Building / Record Theatre
■ 1567 Genesee Street
Added 2015-10-13 • Last changed 2018-03-19